No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Lamp base I bought yesterday  (Read 10751 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Czech Lamp base I bought yesterday
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2021, 04:11:12 PM »
Again yours has that same wide fitting, did you see the ČMS Krásno lamp in the link?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »
yes.  I don't 'think' mines the same as the Krasno one (that seems shallower than mine and the mica one) but mine does look like the one on the mica lampbase.  And mine also has the graduated colour and feathering as well like the mica one,  so I feel that it is possible it's from the same maker.
Mine also is very similar to that vase I linked to.  Graduated colour and the way the colour is laid on from the foot up, the feathering and that same foot.  It's gone from Kralik to Steinwald and back to Kralik.
I don't know to be honest but there does seem to be a vase shape link to the white striped one he has as Kralik (based on the Lenora muzeum?)

Link to the vase comparison here:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/293158-w-kralik--opal-spiral?in=user

Which possibly links to my lamp, which possibly links to the mica feathered one in this thread :)

I honestly do think my lamp is from this maker though
https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.net/stories/e9BpB6OYlKo26Vhqo.ve.A.png

I cut and pasted them onto a word doc next to each other and they really do appear to be from the same place to my eye.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
also have just copied and pasted a pic of the mica lamp versus the feathered graduated vase from CW and my lamp, and this mica lamp you posted on page 6 of this thread is  just an exact upside down version of the colouration of the CW vase on the right here.  It even has the amber ridges running down the side of it, whereas the vase has the amber applied on the foot:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/293158-w-kralik--opal-spiral?in=user

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=38037.0;attach=233842;image

I think they are all three (my lamp base included) linked to the same maker.  Larksel on CW  has linked the striped decor and the feathered graduated decor vase to other Kralik pieces in different shapes.  So probably W. Kralik on that basis so far.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2021, 04:41:58 PM »
Would agree your lamp and the vase will be the same maker, at the moment I am just not up to speed on the Kralik/Steinwald developments. Slightly uncomfortable with the attributions based on the shape of Czechoslovakia etched marks, again lack of knowledge on my part. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 04:52:01 PM »
no, I think he has checked out the decors of the pieces and linked them to the same decors in different shapes which are Kralik in the Sklarska Muzeum Lenora. 
He has noted previously that the stamped mark can be linked to  both Steinwald and Kralik if I have read correctly.  So assume from that, the take-out is that the stamped mark cannot be used just to 'assign' to Kralik.

And I'm pretty certain that the mica lampbase in blue to white is the upside down version of that vase John :)  I think the mica lamps will turn out to be from this same maker.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
Sorry, yes agreed!

There seems to be some complication though when it appears that items with the same decor may have been made by more than one manufacturer at different times. So easy to make assumptions based on say current norms when they may not have applied at the time. The desire to attribute can be a steamroller...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 05:26:18 PM »
Absolutely, I know.  And the fly in the ointment is that the colours could have been used by more than one maker (i.e. bought in from a supplier of course) and  I think that blue for example was used by Hantich.   And Hantich also used the graduated colour.

But I do think it's a good probability that all three pieces are from the same maker.  Which one ... well ... who knows yet?  ;D

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »
First of all, I agree with the idea of the desire to declare attributions becoming a steamroller.... Much more so in today's world of internet information.

I also find it necessary to state publicly that I am of the opinion that many of the "Steinwald" attributions being tossed around right now will not hold up to the test of time.

The gentleman making the vast majority of them has now declared almost every Kralik decor (about 90 of them) he had on his website showing his collection, to be Steinwald and not Kralik. Many of them still show "Kralik, Steinwald" as an attribution, but have been moved to a Steinwald page and removed from a Kralik page entirely. Dual attributions are, at least to me, a bad attribution. Glass can either be Kralik or Steinwald, but not both.  Much of the information I do not agree with, although some of it has merit.

Glass, in almost every instance, can be differentiated by makers, even if the decors are similar. As an example, Kralik, Loetz, and Harrach all made a Martelé decor, and the production in almost ever instance can be differentiated.

Kralik glass has been studied pretty intently since about 1995 or so, Steinwald, for the last 8 months or so. If one is to believe the new claims being tossed around right now regarding Steinwald, Kralik made next to no glass post WWI, and what was attributed to them was produced in large part by Steinwald. 

I do not believe it is either possible, or actually supportable long term, to overrule 25 years of study with the use of a couple of found ads, a handful of museum examples, and some shape comparisons, and do it in a period of around 8 months or so.

Call me a doubting Thomas if you must, but I think attribution changes and declarations require much more substantiating evidence than we are seeing, to hold up to long term scrutiny. 

Just my 2 cents worth, and not really a subject I am all that interested in contesting and getting n the middle of.   ;D 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 06:51:11 PM »
And museum attributions with the best will in the world, are just attributions.  The same as ours are until there is pattern book proof.

However,  I was just trying to link these three pieces together :  That feathered blue to white vase with amber, the mica lampbase and my lampbase.
The process of deduction always starts somewhere and at the moment, to my eye I think there is a definite link between them. 
I don't have any clue about maker though.  I'm just going on decor and colour and style of piece at the moment.  :)  I know really next to nothing about Kralik stuff and absolutely nothing about Steinwald.  I just have a fairly good memory and like to post if something might link to something else or be useful in further searches :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand