No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goblet with murrine panels  (Read 1791 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Goblet with murrine panels
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 03:37:38 PM »
Not that many to choose from really, Laugharne are long closed now and this does not fit their style one bit. Eirian Glass are still extant as are Avondale I think but again style would be an issue for both. Similar for Malcolm Sutcliffe and Gate in Brecon as far as I can tell.

Who else am I missing? I don't know of any North Wales makers at all. There is Andrew Murphy a new glass blower here in Cardiff, he has been experimenting with murrine as well as different styles generally, very artistic. Certain they are not his as it happens... Not that it really has that much significance, I bought them both in England.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 11:44:39 AM »
It was just a thought

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 08:05:42 PM »
Your glasses seem to be quite bubbly in the glass and quite rustic in form of the bowls as well as the stems.  I can't imagine Shaks or Bath Aqua or Bristol Blue Glass or George Elliott making them for example as their glass is artistic but from what I can see it's clear glass and the bowls are finely formed in shape.  I'm probably not describing what I mean very well  :-[

Also the pontil mark being different might preclude them being from the same place mightn't it? I don't know though - do makers tend to stick to the 4 prong pontil rod - or is that not a thing?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 02:02:13 PM »
https://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/217526
https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots/George-Elliot-Bewdley-Glass-A-group-of-assorted-drinking/1027-george_elliot-19.3.21-fielding

George Elliott made a fair few different styles, and while adventurous, wasn't always the neatest and tidiest, and he did make clear glass goblets with colours added.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 11:01:57 PM »
Gave me the opportunity to name check those I can remember Christine, Mr Murphy is one to watch.  ;)

George Elliot made glass for a long time, he taught a lot as well, a big influence(r). To me the two glasses are from the same source, I had wondered a little about GE with the first but the second glass is interesting because of how it is made, Sue pointed it out to me. The yellow and black is not so much a trail as a large shard (or murrine?) that has been heated and drawn around, it sits on the surface. The yellow is really thick and makes a distinct ridge that runs around. Sue's green goblet has four applied murrine, from memory also quite thick but not drawn out, they remind me of Ruskin cabochon as it happens...

Just remembered this GE vase that has canes worked into the surface in just the same way as the Murrine panels on the first glass. All very circumstantial.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 05:27:01 PM »
There is an interesting goblet in 20th Century Glass by Charles Hajdamach, plate 878 on page 421. Interesting in that it is in a similar style with a band of blue around the bowl, shorter and squatter at around 13cm, unsigned, by Annette Meech.

The photo does not show enough detail for a good comparison so keeping an open mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand