No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goblet with murrine panels  (Read 1803 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Goblet with murrine panels
« on: March 18, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
Bought this to keep and use but would like to know where it is from if possible.  20cm tall with 4 part pontil mark on base, anyone recognise the style?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Goblet with murrine panels
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
Is that a broken scar indicating a 4 pronged tool?
(Doh, read the text before peering at the pics, yes, it's a 4 pronger.)
Something about the construction and setting of the murrines reminds me of your Murano wall sconces and lamp in browns with aventurine. But it is a construction and setting that could have been used elsewhere. The seed bubbles are not saying Murano to me, but you know I'm hopeless in this area.
I like it. I can see why you bought it. it does look nice to use. I love how tall and elegant it is.  :)
I'm wondering Norman Stuart-Clarke. I've got a goblet he made at LGW in '83. A 4-pronger, and the stem is a rather similar shape. The whole thing is shorter, and the bulge at the bottom of the stem is smaller. I can't see any seed bubbles in the base, and the rest of it is surface decorated, so I can't tell if there are any in that. 15cm tall.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
It feels great 'in the hand', gonna christen it tonight.

Yes it has the look and feel of studio, bit too lumpy and bumpy for your average bit of Murano. The orange, white and black canes are reminiscent of some Carlo Scarpa, they are not right though and to my eye the style is just not 1930s Murano.

I wondered about George Elliot too along with a fair few flights of fancy.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:13:59 PM »
I've got a George Elliott goblet in my mitts. 1973. The "ET" one. He might well have used a 4 pronger, but the scars have been further heat treated, or even as if it has had 3 tiny blobs of glass put over the pits and heat "smoothed".
It has more seed bubbles than the N S-C. Sorry, no pics of the base.
The N S-C is much better balanced and feels better in the hand.
I have also just "hefted" my other studio goblets.
George Elliott is the only awkward and difficult to hold one. Annette Meech, Anthony Stern, Michael Harris, Fleur Tookey, Norman S-C and my suspected Jiri Suhajek are all nicely balanced, even if they are wonky. None of those are 4-prongers.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »
There is something very controlled about the decoration on my goblet, it does not have the typical free flowing feel of Elliot's work, did GE ever have a minimalist phase I wonder?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
 ;) It's the excellent control over the small details in the murrines has me a bit stuck on N S-C for this.
And the 4 prongs and the same shape of stem as mine. My photo doesn't show the bulge at the bottom of the stem as well as it is in reality. It's very definitely there and a feature of the design.

Have you finished watching Blown Away? Chris Taylor had real troubles and difficulties trying to add vertical canes to the bottom of a vessel, he wanted those to come down to a narrow base, as your goblet is. It turned out to be far harder than he had anticipated and did not go well for him.
Getting those murrines into the tiled sections, adding them to the bottom of the bowl and smoothing them in to a narrow base is something that would be extremely difficult, even for a very experienced, brave and experimental maker as Chris Taylor is.

Both N S-C and GE do cover a lot of different styles. Base finishes on N S-C pieces do vary too. My two vases have flat bases, one looks satinated, the other is kind of wheel polished, it has left a semi-circular swathe of wheel marks all over it. The signatures are on the sides, not the base.

Who else did use a 4 pronged tool?

I've just had another thought. Murrines, tiled like this, into a wall of glass like this, are found in some Vistosi birdies, are they not?  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
 Vistosi birds when they have murrine are in a band rather than discrete 'panels', similar use can be found in some Cenedese designs too.

Some George Elliot goblets have a similar shaped stem it seems as well.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
GE seems to cover many different styles. He's rather versatile and I don't know the full extent of everything he did.
Goblets are not the easiest of things to make, and I have been trying to collect early studio specimens. It's a very small, niche area, there are really not that many around, so this fascinates me. I do believe it to be an early Studio Glass goblet and I really want to know who made it.
I don't know how many of the early workers even attempted goblets around the beginning of the movement in Europe or the States, although I've been concentrating on the European end.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 04:58:55 PM »
Bought another yesterday that I reckon could be the same maker but this time smaller and with a yellow and black trail. There are some other obvious differences - the shape of the stems and the pontil marks.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 01:19:35 PM »
How about a Welsh glass studio?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia