No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with18th century baluster glasses  (Read 796 times)

Offline Mackeysm813

• Members
  • Always a good day when I’m learning something new!
    • USA
Help with18th century baluster glasses
« on: April 09, 2021, 05:47:55 AM »
Hi, any input on these would be much appreciated. I THINK I know what I’ve got here but looking for some feedback from someone more knowledgeable than I am. Fortunately I was just lucky enough to have known these were very old xwhen i found them. Any ballpark value would also be helpful, though I’m aware no one can give me any official valuation. Thanks so much! I’ve also got plenty of high quality photos if anyone needs a closer look. Just message me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Help with18th century baluster glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum. I wouldn’t like to say whether these are as old as you think or not, it can be a bit of a minefield. My first impression was that the bowls look quite thick and you were lucky to find a pair. Do they ring nicely when flicked (indicating lead glass)? Are there black bits and white bits in the glass? It looks like they have folded feet, is that the case?

It is worth searching the board. For example, have a look at these two posts:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62618.msg351577.html#msg351577

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55787.msg316330.html#msg316330
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mackeysm813

• Members
  • Always a good day when I’m learning something new!
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:00:28 PM »
Thanks. Yes they are folded foot. They do ring nicely and I saw a few white bits in the glass. I really wish the platform would upload high quality images. The bowls are quite thick. They are uneven. Or not exactly identical shall we say. Thanks for the help. Here are a couple more photos where you can more clearly see the white specks and folded foot. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
Can't help you with the glasses but images can be up to 125 kb each; yours are much smaller.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
I'm not an expert but I would say early to mid 19th. century. The glass is fairly clear and the horizontal striations from where it was worked can be seen, I can't see the pontil clearly. You should aim for the first number of pixels of your images to be at least 700, depending on the background you might possibly double that.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »
I was looking online for reproductions, just incase, and they look very like these Blenko glasses:

https://www.dandkcollectibles.com/listing/648107319/pair-of-williamsburg-cw1g-baluster-stem

The seller says “Produced by Blenko for the Williamsburg Restoration Society from 1937-1966 as reproductions of the glassware from colonial Williamsburg”. There’s a photo from the catalogue that shows them 6 or 7.5 inches tall. I can’t quite see if the pontil looks the same on your glasses. It might well fit considering your location and that you found a pair.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
I think you are right Ekimp, although they could still be original, but on closer inspection there doesn't appear to be 200years of wear on the feet.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:24:40 PM »
No, it doesn’t look like there’s much wear, it would be interesting to see them in the flesh. They look pretty much identical to the Blenko catalogue photos, hopefully Mackeysm813 isn’t too disappointed but it goes to show you have to be careful!

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:48 PM »
I'm going to agree with Ekimp on this one. Unfortunately, handling them, and perhaps drinking a dram from them, isn't possible. They look the part, but I am not persuaded they have been in use for so many years. It's a close one this one, and an 'in the hand' inspection would enable a more robust opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand