No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying label “Fantasy” with double headed eagle on vintage wine glass  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Ettyisaac

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass identification
    • England
Hi there, my first topic as a new member... hope I’m doing this right and hope you can help.
I found in the loft a beautiful set of wine glasses or champagne flutes. They are beautiful. Each glass is a different colour. Clear seems and gold trim.
They are all labelled with a yellow sticker that depicts a double headed eagle or a Phoenix. Beneath it says FANTASY.
I have search high and low on every website and forum I could find but the word Fantasy is to widely used. I do not know the tigon of the glasses. But they ended up here in England. They are definitely vintage.
Thanks in advance for reading this or trying to help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
A double headed eagle was of course the symbol of Imperial Russia, and is the  coat of arms of the Russian Federation, though the eagle is depicted holding an orb and a sceptre in its talons. The multi colours of this set of glasses reminds me of traditional enameled ware produced in Russia, bowls, drinking cups, spoons etc, which are familiar to all, richly coloured decorative utensils, generally just for display. Are these Russian? Perhaps it's a direction to investigate?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ettyisaac

• Members
    • Glass identification
    • England
Oooh I like this! I’ll have no idea if they are Russian but I did have two other ceramic pieces that are Russian in the same box so could well indeed be Russian. I will investigate further. Thank you so much! I will update if I’m on The right path :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
They are what I'd call a harlequin set. Many of these were made in Belgium, but could be bohemian or German.
If Russian, I'd have expected cryllic script on the label, not arabic.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ettyisaac

• Members
    • Glass identification
    • England
Thanks for that Sue,
The Harlequin key word does help narrow things down.
I haven’t notice any Arabic on the label. It only says “fantasy” in English and there is some symbol underneath it (similar looking to a Chinese letter- but I don’t believe it is).
I will check Belgium and Germany as well. Thanks a bunch  🙏🏻 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Apologies for not posting this link with my last reply. I'd lost it. A website with makers and images all nicely laid out. ;D

https://www.hogelandshoeve.be/index045.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ettyisaac

• Members
    • Glass identification
    • England
Still no luck 😩 I can’t figure out what is that little flying thing above the eagles’ heads.... nor that symbol underneath “Fantasy”.
I have gone through every label of glass makers in Europe... the yellow sticker with gold writing resembles some Italian makers and Bohemia glass stickers - but no luck there either.
This might have defeated me 😩

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
It's difficult to see the details, can you please post a larger photo of the label, at least 700x pixels.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I peered very carefully;
But all I could make out was a suspicion of a "low flying duck" before thinking, "unlikely". :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ettyisaac

• Members
    • Glass identification
    • England
OMG! It does indeed look like a low flying duck as if we’re seeing it from behind, flying away from us. Though indeed- quite unlikely... 😆😆😆

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand