No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: David Queensberry Anomaly  (Read 817 times)

Offline Stall69

• Members
David Queensberry Anomaly
« on: April 26, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help with this.
I have some glass tumblers, signed on the base "Queensberry"
But they are nothing like anything Lord Queensberry has designed for other glass companies.
What they ARE like is a motif he used when designing ceramics for Crown Staffordshire Pottery.

So my question is, are these attributable to David Queensberry and if so, who might the manufacturer be?
Much appreciation in anticipation of any help/info.
Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: David Queensberry Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
 :) I would suspect it is the name of the pattern printed on them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Stall69

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »
Thanks Sue.
The exact same emblems from the David Queensberry Crown Staffordshire China are used on these glasses.
So are you saying they're produced by a random glass company and then adding the Queensberry signature in recognition of the patterns on the china, but nothing directly to do with Queensberry himself?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
I am not saying anything of the kind.  :) I only said it could well be the name of the design, which would make perfect sense.

Ravenhead produced a lot of tumblers with patterns printed on them, mostly designed by Alexander Hardie Williamson. There are probably several hundred different designs, I do not know them all. The history of these printed tumblers is rather complicated. Some of it outlined in the thread below.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,14907.10.html

Lord Queensbury had his fingers in so many glass pies and had so much wonderful influence in promoting glass and supporting new ideas in it, it would not surprise me at all to find this kind of tribute to him.  ;D

Are your tumblers slightly flared towards the rim, or just straight? The shape would determine the name of the tumbler, if Ravenhead/Sherdley
Straight ones are called Slim Jims; rounded, barrel shaped ones are called Tubbies. There are others, made in America.
There was a French company also produced printed tumblers, but I think the glass in those is much thicker. I'm sure there must be others. :)

https://www.cmog.org/library/slim-jims-tubbies-life-and-work-designer-alexander-hardie-williamson

I'm afraid your query is one that leads us down several rabbit holes.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Stall69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:12:37 PM »
Thank you again Sue.
There's LOTS of useful information there for me to be getting on with.
Although the rabbit hole analogy is a scary prospect, I feel somewhat grateful to know that all my extensive hours of research were not necessarily me just being inept and good to know its more layered than I originally thought.
Cheers,
Steven

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Given Queensbury's very strong and positive influence here, I would try British manufacturers first. I am especially unsure of Ravenhead/Sherdley when gilding is involved, though. Investigating printed tumblers was somthing I kind of gave up on. It did get very confusing and personally, I rather preferred the textured ones.
I kind of ran away from the rabbit warren. :-[  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Stall69

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:31:35 PM »
They were either not very popular, or never massed produced.
Because whilst I can find several others with gold coin motifs (usually Roman) I've not seen another of these anywhere.

Right.....I'm going in....wish me luck!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
Oh, they were very popular when they were made. And mass produced. But they are also quite delicate. They break.
It was investigating them in the secondary market I gave up on. Which was wrong of me, because they are still popular. They're just not my personal taste. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
Transfers, which these are, are often  found on both glass and ceramics. I wonder if these were to match the china.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand