No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubbly Purple/Blue Plate Maybe Powell or Monart ??? ID = Monart  (Read 1022 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Purchased three plates recently thought they maybe were Monart would love to know some
views on the please, They are 8" in diameter with small polished pontil scars on the middle
of the bases with quite a bit of light wear on the flat bases. Thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Bubbly Purple/Blue Plate Maybe Powell or Monart ???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 02:44:51 PM »
 :)
The shape is unfamiliar, but the colours and bubbles are very Monart. So is the stripe.
I've just been holding up my little bubbly Monart bowl next to your images - it contains the same purple and a little bit of what looks like the same shade of blue.
The glass is very finely blown, I honestly don't know how they managed to polish it flat and sort out the pontil scar nicely on glass so thin.
There is no way it could have supported the addition of a glass button. So the lack of one does not mean it's not Monart.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:39:28 AM »
 :) Thanks Sue.
I have been thinking and i purchased these plates from the same town as a similar other
piece of glass which is Monart just a coincidence but i thought i would mention and add
a picture so the color could be compared. Dan

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 11:50:09 AM »
 :o :o :o :o Wow!
I've only seen that footed goblet shape in Perth Museum. The bar stewards in charge wouldn't let me take it home with me. :'(
I think you can compare the coours better than I can, given you have them in your mitts. Compare the bubbles too.
You need to take into consideration the different thicknesses of the glass.

The only thing that I wasn't sure about was the shape. Plates like this were made to go under fruit bowls, in sets, but I wasn't sure about what I think might be a slightly large diameter.
But all bubbly Monart is a little bit unusual and hard to find.  ;D

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:13:05 AM »
The plates are definitely Monart. Often plates and occasionally bowls have a polished concave pontil mark.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand