No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying cobalt blue handblown vase - possibly Czech midcentury?  (Read 813 times)

Offline acalderon

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post here! I have recently started buying and selling art glass, usually I am able to identify pieces using great online resources including this forum! But recently I have got a hold of a piece that I can't quite place.

I bought it as Czech midcentury glass and it seems plausible but can't find anything that quite matches.
Not too fussed if it doesn't turn out to be worth much as I bought it cheap, but I would like to know!

It's a cobalt blue piece; solid colour, not cased (most e.g. Chribska or Skrdlovice pieces I've seen seem to have colours cased in clear).
Thick, heavy, quite chunky. Round base. Dimensions ca. 100 x 130 x 130mm or 4" x 5" x 5"
Clearly handblown as all sides are slightly unequal and there are no joints.
Does not appear to be new as the base has some fleabites.
No inscriptions or marks, the "loops" (not sure if that's the right word?) have some sort of stretch mark around the middle.

Does anybody have any clues as to what this might be?

Many thanks!
Alberto

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Hi and welcome.  :)
The way the top is finished, with those big pulls down, is very reminiscent of the work by the Polish artist, Czeslaw Zuber, at Huta Barbara.
However, the work I am familar with is multicoloured, and I'm not at all sure of the shape of the base.
It is classified as mid-century. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline acalderon

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your prompt response and suggestion! I had never heard of Zuber or Huta Barbara but I really like his work. Looking him up it does appear that he made at least a few solid blue vases ( https://polscyprojektanciszkla.pl/en/czeslaw-zuber-2/ )but I would agree with you that the bases and overall feel are quite different - so I don't think that is the solution (yet).

All the best
Alberto

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Polish artists are not yet nearly as well-known as they should be.  ::)
I am particularly fond of Zuber's work. And that of Zbigniew Horbowy, who is the next artist described in your link. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand