No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richard Wallace Comport - Henry Greener?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline JimmyBee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Richard Wallace Comport - Henry Greener?
« on: May 21, 2021, 05:02:24 PM »
I picked up this comport thinking that it looked like a Henry Greener piece in style, and likely one of their commemorative patterns in keeping with the Peabody and Gladstone ones, etc. I've tried to research it and drawn a blank however, as I can't find reference to this in the books, or in the galleries here (apologies if I've overlooked it).
The registration lozenge is a bit faint, but readable, and interestingly it's for 31st July 1869 which is the same as the 'Gladstone' one (231430).
I'm bamboozled! Has anyone seen one of these or have any more information? This will sit very nicely in my Greener collection, if I can be satisfied that it's be Greener!
Width 17.5 cm, height 9.5 cm, base width 8.5 cm
Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Richard Wallace Comport - Henry Greener?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 04:58:22 AM »
There are two very different plates one commemorative in the gallery with this registration, my mother had both of them and loads of the Peabody range, I will do some further checking over the weekend , some of the early Greener registrations are a bit unclear, as it may have been one small part of the pattern that was registered.
I have some “pressed glass collectors club” material to look through but I think you are likely to be correct as there just aren’t many other contenders.
Regards Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 10:42:11 AM »
The pressed glass collectors club info refers that Greener used the same mould for the “George Peabody” commemorative ware after the “Gladstone for the millions” as it has the same lozenge, so it may well be likely that they used the same mould again for your “Wallace” plate.  Moulds were expensive to make and there is other evidence that Greener adapted his moulds for numerous pieces.
Regards Mike

Offline JimmyBee

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »
Thank you for the reply Mike, and for taking the time and trouble to look through the collectors club info. The re-use of moulds certainly sounds like a plausible explanation. I think I've convinced myself that this is a Greener design, but it's odd that I've not found any images or references to it elsewhere.

I can't even work out who Richard Wallace is for certain. The most likely candidate might be Sir Richard Wallace, 1818-1890, British art collector and philanthropist (source- Britannica.com) but I can't find any commemorative wares online.

I'm still relatively new to glass collecting, and I get a real kick out of the fact that there still seem to be discoveries to be made and 'new' items to be found. Only today I bought a nice tazza/comport (still not sure which is which) by Eunson & Scurr of Sunderland which doesn't seem to be in the galleries here. I'll get it cleaned up and photographed, then I can add it.

Cheers, Ian

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 04:30:25 PM »
Hi Ian,
If https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274807750814 this link works this jug maybe?? From the same pattern because of the “00” pattern.
Just a guess.

Mike

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 03:11:53 PM »
There is a picture of your comport in the book From Palace to Parlour, page 48, it is Henry Greener 31st May 1869,
If you want a picture of the page send me a message.cheers Mike
Funnil enough the book is from the Richard Wallace collection 1818-1890 and it’s thought this was from Greeners recognition of his loan of 2000 pieces to the Bethnal Green museum of London....

Offline JimmyBee

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
Thank you for that information Mike. I don't have that book, so I'd never have stumbled upon that, and it's great to have it confirmed that it's by Greener.

If you could send me a picture of the page I'd be very grateful. I'll maybe have to see if I can track a copy of the book down sometime.

Thanks again, Ian.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 06:43:09 AM »
Hi Ian,
Due to copyright I cannot post the pictures on here, can you send me an email address thanks Mike
I can’t seem to be able to send a message on here either?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 03:27:38 AM »
Hi Mike, this is why you can't PM via the board: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29064.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
Hi Anne, thanks, in my account settings my box is ticked, so does that allow Ian to send me an email?
Kind regards Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand