No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Lamp Sconce? - ID = Molineaux Webb candle drip - or sconce - number 119  (Read 985 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
I bought this rather battered lamp just for the glass "sconce". I've not seen anything like it so will have to search around. With a bit of work I may have found a base for the large shade I posted recently.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Uranium Lamp Sconce?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »
It's probably a candle sconce and shouldn't be on an electric lamp at all

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 08:06:12 PM »
You have Molineaux Webb candle drip - or sconce - number 119

https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-unregistered-pressed-glass/dishes_fingers

I thought these were dishes when I first put the catalogue page up, never got round to correcting it...

These are pretty rare - good find!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 08:57:57 PM »
Thanks neilh, that's brilliant . Not a bad boot sale find for £1 including the lamp  ;D. They do look like dishes in the catalogue.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
Thanks again Neil, I see the catalogue dates from around 1870 but from the yellowy-green colour would I be right in thinking this is from a later date, 1920-30's? I've found the posh name for it is a "bobeche" from the French "bobèche". You are welcome to a copy of the photos if you would like them.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:49:48 AM »
Thanks I'll put the photo up on the site, only one other has been seen, shown in one of Barrie Skelcher's uranium books. It is possible these moulds were in use for many decades. I have MW candlesticks which are early and bright yellow, and late and weak yellow-green, of the same design - proving they were in use for 50, 60, 70 years.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
what a fantastic find :)

I like the contemporary design on it as well.
Can I ask would it have been on a chandelier or a table based candleholder?

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
flying free, a lot of the ones I've found online have been described as for use on a chandelier, I suppose to prevent drips on the head, but also could be used on candelabra and candlesticks. It's amazing what turns up at car boots, I bought the Jobling bowl I've posted at the same one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand