No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quadruple Harlequin - Harland?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Quadruple Harlequin - Harland?
« on: June 19, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
Hi all,

I have just acquired this beauty. It is very large (8.75 inch x 3.5 inch) and looks like a bigger version of my Harland double harlequin. Is this a rare Harland quadruple harlequin do you think? Have you come across one before?

Anyway I thought I should share.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Quadruple Harlequin - Harland?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »
Hi Sophie,

First Quadruple I have seen. Good find.

Is the clear glass either yellow-tinged or orange-ish? Either way I am reasonably sure that the tint in the clear glass indicates a period of the general "Harland" years. But not sure at all which period (PY Co. / Harland / Highlamd).

For folk without access to Colin Mahoney's book, Masterworks the paperweights by Paul Ysart it was noted that "A three-layered Harlequin and a four-layered Harlequin are known to be in a private collection.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are well.

I was waiting for a nice sunny day/light to tell you about the tinge in the glass. And the sun has just come out.

So the glass has more a sort of blue-ish tinge to it. Quite unusual for Harland but I wonder whether the strong blue of the ground explains this. I still feels this is Harland.

And yes I remembered that Colin Mahoney referred to three and four layers harlequins in his book (but do not have it with me to check); so when I saw this one my heart skipped!! I am a little excited to own one (and such great colours too).

Also I will try posting another PY weight (more mundane) this week. I have meant to do this for a while.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
Very nice weight, 1st I've seen and wish I'd found it ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand