No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Faux Sklo - not faux!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Faux Sklo - not faux!
« on: July 05, 2021, 04:29:36 AM »
This vase is 7" high and has a ZBS Czech Republic label on it. When I found it, I was pretty sure that it is not Zelezny Brod Sklo as I have never seen anything even remotely like it before. Guessing the label was migrated by someone, not the maker. Everything looks wrong about it but I really like the colors, the applied ribbon and shape. The ribbon is so precise I am wondering if glass like this could be machine made? I have a few Chinese vases I use for holding my yoga straps and other stuff that have a sort of similar brown spot pattern on the bottom but not exactly like this. The shapes are completely different and they all have ground pontils... Any comments, thoughts, etc., welcome...
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Faux Sklo
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 06:42:03 AM »
Not sure if it is my eyes, but there appears to be a mark on the base, which reminds me of the leaping salmon mark used by Strathearn. I may be completely wrong and there is nothing there, but thought I would mention it, even if I am wrong.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 07:03:34 AM »
Thanks user9318. I thought I could see some sort of mark, too, but I am not sure if it is a deliberate mark or something accidental. Sort of looks like the pi symbol to me....
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »
The label doesn't look migrated and the vase certainly doesn't look Chinese; it's far too well made and definitely not machine made.  You cannot make something so complex by machine. A skilled glass maker can apply even threading. The label is post 1993

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
another one appears here - blue with black trailing similar style
https://picclick.co.uk/Zelezny-Brod-Sklo-ZBS-Hand-blown-Czech-Blue-362397719852.html

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Thanks for your comments and information Lustrousstone. Based on another example posted by flying free, I guess it is confirmed as a ZBS vase. I am surprised!

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the link and image flying free! I appreciate it! Too bad only one of the six images has survived, but I will try messaging* the seller and see if they still have them.

*contacted seller. They no longer have those images.... Bummer... Adding the remaining image to this post in case the link goes away..

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 01:20:13 AM »
Did you ask the permission of the person whose photo it is to add that photo here? If not it will need to be removed under our rule about the use of copyright material.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 04:04:54 AM »
I have not but I will ask now.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
I have not but I will ask now.

Permission granted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand