No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it a ' finger bowl ' or a ' verrieres ' ? Royal Collection Perrin Geddes & co  (Read 704 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Described in the Royal Collection as  one of part of a set of 14 ' verrieres '.

Item looks similar to that which we've been discussing on the Queen Victoria bowl thread as a finger bowl  :-\
I'm just wondering if using the correct terminology of the time might help further searches  ::)

https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/38/collection/68278/set-of-verrieres

set of 14 verrieres.

On reading the description of how these came into the Royal Collection it's a wonder the Liverpool Corporation didn't go bust.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
might have been more helpful if an English descriptive word had been used instead  -  notice that the other items are described in English.    Foreign words don't always travel well  -  seems that verrieres has at different times been used to describe rinsers, finger bowls and Monteiths  -  so take your pick.       I'd also suggest the term hobnail is incorrect  -  the side cutting showing here is very typical of large relief diamonds, whereas hobnails are usually an eight-sided cut feature - sometimes called cane by the guys on the other side of the pond.     From a practical  point of view this design looks fated from the word go - can't see that rim staying pristine after the folk below stairs had done the washing up a few times.               Size wise they're a good depth for either rinser or finger bowl  -  all those I've seen have had a smooth rim when used as finger bowl, and either one or two (opposing) notches if a rinser, but they appear way OTT for a monteith  -  you get the feeling that they were made simply as a tour-de-force of the company's glass cutting abilities - but would look good used as a desert or sweet meat bowl.    If they're on ebay, I'll take a punt m - where do you see them starting  -  K350 perhaps.     Sorry, hadn't see the other GMB thread you mention. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The other GMB thread is at 14 pages of my ramblings so you really don't want to go there :)
Well, the final few posts are key, but the rest is all the justification for my conclusion  ;D

Yes it's an odd word to use - especially since they were made at Perrin Geddes ... that well known French firm   ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Wot, you ramble - perish the thought ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand