No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early 20th century tumblers ??  (Read 795 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Early 20th century tumblers ??
« on: July 11, 2021, 03:26:41 PM »
Not everyone’s idea of a good find , but I love finding this sort of thing .They are 4” in hight with a polished base and are fairly thick but feel good in the hand , I’m thinking early 19th century,so they’re probably not 😀,any thoughts thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Early 20th century tumblers ??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 05:43:27 PM »
Hi bat20  -  so we have a wide date range then .........  early C19 to early C20  ;D             IMHO the amount of wear doesn't look enough to take them back well over a hundred years and the depression is machine made as you'll know.     Wondered if they might have been Davidson, but they appear to lack any code so probably not.              Agree, I used to like finding this sort of utility ware  -  if only they could speak - what tales.    Again, my opinion only, but these could be anywhere in the first half of the C20 though more likely perhaps nearer to the W.W. I period.      Sadly think they will remain unknown but at least you can use them.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »
Hi Paul and thanks for your reply, I agree with with ww1 period and they really have had very little use so wear may not be a pointer to age .There are small air bubbles in the glass with a slight grey tint, I was wondering if they maybe from the continent , but like you implied it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever know the maker . They feel great in the hand and they will be used lovingly as I explain to people why I like them and watch their eyes glaze over .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »
from memory, the Davidson tumblers I mentioned were called Crystolac - and each glass carried a dot based code and were made somewhere from around 1940 to mid or late in that decade  -  again, from memory they were similar in shape and size to these  -  the Davidson glasses are on the Board somewhere, and expect you've seen them at some time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 06:40:40 AM »
Yes I do remember now you mention it , no dots,I’ll revisit the thread .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand