No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying Ships Decanter  (Read 983 times)

Offline Kail008

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Help identifying Ships Decanter
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help identify this decanter.
It's definitely hand cut, obvious imperfections in the design, no visible watermark or acid etch.
Topper seems to be original, has a "25" scribed into the base of the topper and base of the decanter.
There is a 16 point star at the base and each point seems to be even when I run my eye down suggesting each point was mitred in a single run.

The story behind this I've been told by my mother is it was my parent's wedding gift back in the early 80's given to them by a group of accountants, workmate of my father who were all very much into crystal glassware. Didn't come with a box but he was apparently incredibly excited about it.

I'm trying to see if there is more stuff in this style as I'd like to track down matching glasses, so far all I can find is a whiskey decanter in the same design/pattern but it has no information regarding it origin

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Help identifying Ships Decanter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
It's not my subject and it's very difficult to identify from photos, you could try searching for Waterford or Stuart for starters. It doesn't appear to have much wear on the bottom so might not be very old. Here's a link.

https://www.replacements.com/search?query=waterford+crystal+decanter
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. It might also be worth a scan through this dedicated decanter website to see if you can find a match http://www.lovedecanters.co.uk/ - let us know how you get on. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 04:25:22 PM »
welcome from me too.      the other name for these things is 'Rodney' - apparently some reference to an Admiral Lord Rodney who was smacking eight bells out of the French c. late C18 - anyway, knowing the alternative name might possibly help, though I doubt it in this instance.     The fact that this bottle has matching Nos. indicates a quality maker, but beyond that impossible to tell from what we see here.            I suppose to many folk here the early eighties is old, wish it was for me - but this is a very modern piece in terms of glass age generally.       You might with luck find a match in the links provided, and wish you luck, though there are many different cutting patterns to trawl through  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand