No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Davidson's Shape 284 Glass Vase  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Possible Davidson's Shape 284 Glass Vase
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone may be able to confirm or not if this vase is by Davidson and possibly pattern number 284?

The vase measures 9 inches tall which would fit with pattern number 284, which is shown the 1940 Davidson Catalogue.

I cant seem to find another example to compare, however the catalogue image of pattern number 284 is shown on Chris and Val's Cloud Glass website, please scroll half way down in the following link: http://www.cloudglass.com/Vases.htm

It would appear that PN: 284 was in production between 1931-42, however is described on Chris and Val's site as an '8' sided vase.  My concern is that my vase is a '10' sided vase. I wondered if this may possibly have been an error if the sides were counted from the catalogue image rather than a vase in the hand.

Additional thoughts, could this be in Davidsons Royal Blue Colour...? I understand Davidsons also used 3 other blue colours during the 1960's, the nearest of which would be their Midnight Blue. However, the shape and base wear seem to point more to an earlier period.

All thoughts most welcome.

Many thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
Re: Possible Davidson's Shape 284 Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »
Could be, but my first instinct says Moser or Walther? Might be worth having a look and seeing how many sides they have? Also check to see how the bases are finished?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 01:01:35 PM »
Hi Adrian, - Thank you for taking a look, much appreciated.

My vase is pressed, so I had discounted Moser. Moser did do a similar blue, but again I would have expected the vase to have been cut.

The Cloud Glass site also mentions similarities with a Walther vase, however, as far as I can recall Walther & Sohne didn't produce this shade of blue, unless I'm mistaken? -  Does anyone recall Walther & Sohne producing this shade of blue?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
did Davidson offer this deep plain non-cloud shade of blue ??      Have you looked at both of Pamela's museum sites  -  pressglas-pavillon.de  -  and the accompanying list of catalogues - glas-musterbuch.de ??

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 06:52:42 PM »
Hi Paul, thank you for taking a look.

Davidson did produce a blue like this for a very short period in 1936. Some further info on Davidsons Royal Blue can be found in the following link: http://www.cloudglass.com/Davidsonbetweenwars.htm

Interestingly there is also a count which roughly indicates the number of items produced in Royal Blue.

Davidson did also produce a similar Midnight Blue in the 1960's.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a quick glance through the Walther catalogues earlier, couldn't see anything that fitted exactly. Will have a more extensive look through them. Thanks.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »

thanks for the link Greg, and for putting me right  -  showing my ignorance and must admit to not taking a serious interest in Davidson for quite some years now.    This deep blue is a gorgeous colour.      FWIW my feeling about the 284 shape was that it didn't have quite the degree of flare that this piece shows, but I could well be very wrong.    thanks again.

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »
Hi Adrian, - Thank you for taking a look, much appreciated.

My vase is pressed, so I had discounted Moser. Moser did do a similar blue, but again I would have expected the vase to have been cut.

The Cloud Glass site also mentions similarities with a Walther vase, however, as far as I can recall Walther & Sohne didn't produce this shade of blue, unless I'm mistaken? -  Does anyone recall Walther & Sohne producing this shade of blue?

No, I don't recall Walther producing that colour - mostly they produced delicate pastel shades. I've just had a look through my saved Walther/Saxonglas catalogues and couldn't see a precise match for the shape either.

That said, until you showed me the link I wasn't aware that Davidson had produced that shade of blue either - I've certainly never seen any Davidson in that colour before! I've tended to think of Davidson blue as bordering on aquamarine until now; based on all the Pearline pieces I've seen.

I do wonder whether all Moser glass was hand cut historically though? Either that or I wonder about attributions ;) The centre of this blue vase looks pressed to me:
https://www.bukowskis.com/en/auctions/581/306-a-josef-hoffamann-facet-cut-blue-glass-bowl-wiener-werkstatte-moser-karlsbad

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 08:32:17 AM »
I cant seem to find another example to compare, however the catalogue image of pattern number 284 is shown on Chris and Val's Cloud Glass website, please scroll half way down in the following link: http://www.cloudglass.com/Vases.htm

It would appear that PN: 284 was in production between 1931-42, however is described on Chris and Val's site as an '8' sided vase.  My concern is that my vase is a '10' sided vase. I wondered if this may possibly have been an error if the sides were counted from the catalogue image rather than a vase in the hand.

Hi. Can’t help with attribution but the vase drawing in your link actually shows a ten sided vase, not an eight sided vase as they describe. If you look at the base you can see the half facing the artist (180 degrees of the base) has five facets. Actually on the base there are nine of the facets visible with just one completely hidden round the back.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 07:32:19 PM »
Thanks Paul, the blue is a lovely shade. Davidson's Royal Blue was quite a departure from the majority of colours they produced around that time.

Thanks Adrian for checking your catalogues, much appreciated. I'll have another look through a few other catalogues for other makers just in case.

This particular blue is fairly distinctive. When I get a moment I'll try and a take a few extra photos. The quality of the pressing is fairly good, there are the occasional straw marks on very close inspection. - the colour looks ok for Moser, although in comparison to other Moser pieces I have owned, this piece doesn't quite have the sharpness to it on close inspection.

Thanks Ekimp, interesting to get your thoughts on the catalogue image. I did wonder if the catalogue example had 10 sides, the facets are indeed a little easier to count around the base section. Catalogue images are hard to compare at the best of times!

It's a shame I can't seem to find another example of pattern 284, although if it is the case that they were only produced in Royal Blue, I suspect not many come to light. I did drop Chis and Val an email a few days back to get their views, if I hear anything I will update this thread.

Thanks all.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
 ;D ;D  -    "there are the occasional straw marks on very close inspection."       I know a certain lady who is already sharpening her pencil on that one.    Of course, wish you luck in finding further information for this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand