No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For show - Webb & Corbett Agate Flambe uranium - then there were three!  (Read 727 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I now have a collection :)

The one on the far right is the newest addition.  It is also uranium glass like the one on the left but a different 'Agate' pattern. 
The uranium is I think in the pattern layer - it's three layered.  A white internal layer, the patterned layer and then a slightly amber yellow outer transparent casing on top.  Quite weighty, beautifully bevelled rim and large polished pontil mark exactly the same as the other two.

Similar colours and patterning to the crazy lace agate in this picture:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0063/3595/5026/products/IMG_5085_2048x.jpg?v=1596830208

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: For show - Webb & Corbett Agate Flambe uranium - then there were three!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 06:42:43 PM »
hi - great pieces m.    I'll do the ignorant bit then  -  which of the colours in the pattern layer do you think is producing the u. glow - might it be the moss coloured inclusion  -  and may we see a picture of the glow please :)    Love those agate stones  -  where did they come from please? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 08:55:10 PM »
mm, my torch and camera are rubbish but it seems this new vase has 4 layers. I think.
The interior is white  non uranium.
The next layer is I believe uranium glass.
The third layer is the colour chips gather and that appears to be completely non uranium as the uranium layer only peaks out at the rim and at the pontil mark foot where there is not much gather glass of the coloured chips - as though that layer didn't completely cover the uranium layer at the base of the foot or the rim cut edge but did cover the sides of the body.  Obviously it might have covered the rim edge initially but that was then cut and polished and bevelled so exposing the layers.

The final layer is an ambery yellow coloured transparent casing.
I don't think the uranium is in the final layer because the speckles and coloured patches layer cover up the U glow that seems to come from between the speckled coloured layer and the white inner layer.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 09:02:52 PM »
Both bowls glow the right U green under the light.  My camera isn't desperately good at picking it up and the swirly bowl definitely glows with more visible throughout the whole body.  As though the speckly bowl has more layers/one more gather and has been made differently to the swirly bowl.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 09:19:58 PM »
judging by the 'patchiness' of the areas that glow  -  and despite what you've said - might it be the coloured spatter/chips only that are glowing.     If it were an entire layer that was u., then wouldn't the glow appear as a more uniform effect rather then this partial glow?           I know less than nothing about these agate flambe pieces, but is it a known fact that they do occur with u. inclusions  -  is there any chance this glow is a manganese glow?             Does Hajdamach comment at all about agate flambe with uranium?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »
No definitely not a manganese glow - my camera just isn't good or I don't know how to set it to show the Uranium glow well enough.

It's not coming from speckled layer either.  It's the layer between that speckled gather and the white interior.  Definitely.

I think it's an amber layer of u glass actually, then the speckled layer and I think the outermost layer is clear glass.

I think the same on the swirly one but I think the swirly one has been done by picking up the powders then swirling them into the amber uranium layer in the middle so it shows up more of the uranium glow more evenly.  Whereas the speckly bowl had the speckles gathered on top of the uranium amber layer, no swirling around so it covered the u layer more evenly except at the base of the foot where when it was blown out the u layer came through more.
Hard to explain but I know what I mean  ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:19:06 AM »
Looking at them in daylight my description in my last post is correct.

I also think the swirled bowl has as I said, had the powders swirled in ambery yellow u glass and then has been cased in amber yellowy u transparent glass.
The new speckled bowl has the plain transparent amber yellowy u glass layer on top of the white inner layer, then the speckled layer then the plain transparent clear glass outer layer.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »
I use a 21 LED torch and with fresh batteries it makes a big difference to the glow, I also turn off the camera flash. Your second photo, as you say, shows the second layer of glass is uranium.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 06:43:18 PM »
Nice one M

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »
Thank you :) 
I've bought nothing/nothing interesting for a good few years really. But in the last week just picked up a couple of interesting pieces.  I'm obviously bored of researching what I currently own and the two pieces in the V&A  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand