No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fan shape pressed glass vase in (not Uranium) green  (Read 907 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Fan shape pressed glass vase in (not Uranium) green
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »
Nice little vase. Or is it a napkin holder? - That is what I will use it for anyway ;)
Green -- not Uranium -- pressed glass, 16cm wide, 12cm high, quite lopsided -- which makes me think it is perhaps older (1800s) than I first thought (Art Deco).

Any hints regarding age / origin very much appreciated!

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Fan shape pressed glass vase in (not Uranium) green
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 04:13:01 PM »
sorry, Michael, not a clue, but you must be a very posh person because you use napkins. ;)              For what it's worth I seriously wouldn't have thought C19, but I've been wrong many times - I'd have thought possibly more like 1930 - 1940  -  and what if any is the extent of wear?       Just to ask the obvious, have you looked through Pamela's pressglas-pavillon.de ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »
Paul, thank you very much for your thoughts!
I am really clueless regarding the age of this piece, so you may very well be right with your 1930-40 estimation.
I have looked through Pamela's site, but coudn't find this design.
There is quite a lot of wear to the polished base, but that may not mean very much.

It was the wonkiness which made me think it was probably a little older than Art Deco period...

Michael

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »
My first thoughts were Czech, possibly Libochovice, Rosice or Reich. Could be any time from 1920's-50's. I've had a quick look but can't find one the same.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Thank you Nev!
I had a quick look through most pattern books on Pamela's glas-musterbuch.de site, but to no avail.
The funny thing is that I was expecting to find several similarish pieces, but there are very few with a V-shape like this one, and not a single on with a rectangular section -- so at least quite a distinctive thing ;)

Michael

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »
Did you look through https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/ as well as the musterbuchs? The base rim looks ground, which probably rules out the USA

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
This Libochovice Josefine Wreath pattern is vaguely similar.

https://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/josefine-wreath.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
Thanks!
Yes, I have looked through both of Pamela's websites, but couldn't find anything...
The Libochovice pattern does have some similarities, but is definitely not the same pattern. May still be Libochovice, though.
Edit: I think the most distinctive feature of this design are the three panels made of tiny circles...

Would you think it is a vase? - Or something totally different like a napkin- or letter holder?

Michael

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 07:50:55 AM »
Viewing Pamela's museum on the screen - under Czech. Hermanova Hut - there are at least three, elongated shaped pieces under the heading of vases - attached is a picture of one.       Their stretched shape is unusual for a vase, but there have been a number of vaguely similar shaped pieces over the years - some from the U.K. - though often they come with a wire flower frog, since presumably it's difficult to keep the flower stems upright.                  I'd never heard of the expression 'napkin holder' before Michael  -  napkin ring, yes, but not holder.      Just for interest, are you able to supply a picture of a glass napkin holder. :)           I could be wrong, but had the feeling that a letter holder was shaped something like a toast rack - smallish and nothing like this - which simply held the letter in an upright position, though some I think are designed like a small tiered stand/rack.          I'd go with this being for flowers - maybe not tall ones though.

https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/09958.html

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on holiday :D
If you google something like "glass napkin holder" there are many results showing napkin holders from different periods.
Here is one on Pamela's site: >> Link

While most have a slightly different shape to my piece, it could well serve to hold flat papery things ;D
(apart from being a vase).
But I am still much more curious about its origin than its function...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand