No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Stratford Rings.  (Read 965 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart Stratford Rings.
« on: August 17, 2021, 07:01:54 PM »
yes, I know we've done this one to death in the past, so will keep the words brief.         Of interest is the back stamp which reads 'Stuarts' which I have seen couple of times before, but nonetheless very uncommon  -  whether it has some significance over and above the ordinary mark, I don't recall.      None of the books mention to an extra 's', but some bright spark may have said something on the Board and I've missed seeing it.
The Reg. No. on this bowl is only partly legible, but I think it probably reads 681308 (Registered originally 22.02.1921)  -  I say this as it's likely that the bowl profile showing here - with the everted rim - is based on a similar profile shape with that Reg. No., showing here     ..............   scroll down to my reply No. 7.     

Stuart issued something like 19 separate Registrations in 1921, and over the years knocked out acres more new shapes for 'Stratford Rings' alone, and apparently Registered each new shape as it was introduced.

For a mega successful design as 'Stratford Rings', it has always seemed odd that Stuart appear not to have Registered, separately, the actual 'Rings' as a design feature, and we must assume that as this moulding appeared on the water jug under Reg. 681268 on 21.02.1921  -  the very first Registration for 1921 - then it was to be taken 'as read' that the 'Rings' were part of the design Registration for 681268.          Board of Trade protection for Registered designs - at this period - was five years ..............  I don't recall if that first 'water jug Reg. design 681268 - with 'Rings' was ever extended  -  designs from many other Registrants were extended - perhaps Stuart didn't feel the need. 

Many of Stuart's bowls etc., but mostly bowls, had added cut decoration, though none of these cut patterns/designs seems ever to have been part of their design Registration  -  we've had many on here before. 
The cutting on this bowl is hardly memorable, and it may have been shown on the Board previously  -  likewise the bowl shape  -  though it's a first for me, I think

All comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Stratford Rings.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
as is rather obvious, there should be a previous GMB link attached to this post  -  also four pix, being the photos of the bowl in question.          With these attached I'm getting words like Forbidden and 'you don't have authority to access these details'.         So I've had to remove those items, and post the bare text.         Grateful if the Mods can investigate - thanks - and I can then hopefully re-instate them.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 12:25:41 AM »
Paul, there is nothing captured in the site error log so I'm puzzled as to what was happening. If you can email me your photos and a note of the link you tried to include I will see if I can edit the post and include them for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 07:38:20 AM »
thanks for taking the time to have a look for me Anne - I'll try again ....................  if it works, then below is the link I had intended to include.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,60572.msg341698.html#msg341698

Eureka - as he said, laying in the bath.          It works - pix now attached - and it's possible the problem was that I had single quote marks around some of the words which may have confused things.    Anyway, all now seems o.k. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
Glad you're sorted Paul!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia