No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh? Goblet.  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh? Goblet.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 06:41:59 PM »
that glow appears to confirm u., but why isn't the foot glowing?     the reaction looks to decrease above the glow area, presumably due to the lack of uranium because of thinness of the glass in that portion.            I agree, the glow appears far too bright for manganese.
Walking into the charity shop with the counter must be quite a spectacle - suppose you could say that the clicking was death watch beetle.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
Ha, very funny, Nev...I can imagine...perhaps you need headphones? One of the worst things is when you go into your pockets or bag to get the device out...incase they think you’re pocketing something! I’m not so bothered in an Antiques centre but tend to have my loupe in my hand. Interesting about the varying intensity of glow, maybe confirms what Skeltcher states.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
Yes Paul I think it's just down to the thickness of the glass, the bowl is very thin. My Geiger counter is actually smaller than a mobile phone  and I've found I can turn the click off but I don't think I'll use it in shops.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 09:15:47 PM »
have to say I've never owned or used a counter  -  always imagined they were large box-like things with strap that went round the neck.          I think you should use it in the shops  -  so many people I meet in charity shops are keen to know why I use a torch, why I look at the bottoms of glass, it makes for an interesting life.    How dull to be ordinary, to let life pass without taking an interest and having an inquisitive mind  -  that often you can share with others.   

The issue with drinking glasses is that perhaps more than most other designs, copies abound since most of the historic shapes are appealing and are reproduced ad infinitum  -  when most of my glass went, it was my drinking glasses that I kept.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 09:31:44 PM »
Sounds like Paul has a good philosophy, you could go in with your face shield, mask and gloves ;D There is always pressure to comply, especially these days it seems. I must say, I’m not keen when I see people looking things up on their phones, that’s cheating!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 12:44:12 AM »
I agree with Paul about using the torch in charity shops, I've had endless conversations with both the folks running the shops and other customers about why I'm using a torch on stuff and they are always fascinated when something lights up with the uranium glow. It does make for an interesting life!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand