No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue pressed glass tumbler?  (Read 769 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Blue pressed glass tumbler?
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
Hi, this tumbler is 11cm ht with 3 seams and a flat polished base rim .looks a bit French and has no wear to speak of ,I’m just wondering if it’s brand new or unused ? Thanks ….there were two at the boot fair with one looking over fired .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blue pressed glass tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
Bristol blue always an attractive colour.    Sorry, no idea as to the authenticity of this as a pressed piece intended to be tumbler - the patterning looks vaguely familiar but that might just be a guess.         For whatever reason, of all the pressed examples in John A. Brooks slim offering 'Glass Tumblers 1700 - 1900', none is blue - in fact he doesn't show any coloured pieces at all.    IMHO, the rather narrow plain rim at the top might rule it out as a tumbler  -  what's it like if you put the glass to the mouth for drinking?          Often, pressed tumblers had thick bases which were thinner toward the centre (of the base) - something to do with the plunger possibly.             With pieces of suspect age, it's sometimes an indication of genuine period if the relief diamonds show some damage  -  if they're too good to be true, then it probably is  -  and a bristol blue tumbler that was in excess of a century in age would be valuable I'd suggest. :)          Sorry this is of no real help. 
What in particular makes you suggest French?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
Hi Paul, the patterns and feel just seemed more Portieux (or continental )like than English,just a feel thing .

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
I should say it feels ok on the lips and I have a bohemian tumbler which has a similar rim size , but flat .Here’s a better image of the decoration .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »
you may well be right about Portieux - regret I know nothing about their output.       Just had a look in Stephen Parry's 'Dwarf Ale Glasses, and he shows a few pressed cans and tankards with moulding that comes up quite near to the rim of the vessel so that seems to make it likely as a drinking item.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »
I think modern renditions of early French and/or continental "lacy" glass design. As too maker no idea.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 09:09:46 PM »
Could be IVIMA glass Portugal?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum