No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ed. Moore and their passion for gadroons.  (Read 959 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Ed. Moore and their passion for gadroons.
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
Attached is TNA original factory drawing from March 1888 showing Moore's design for Registration 95775 dated 14th March of that year  -  very aptly described by Jenny Thompson as "Swirlilng Gadroons - Twisted Handle" - an expression which may have been taken from the Register which I've not yet seen  -  the attached drawing comes from the Representations book.

We spoke some days back about the Victorian contemporary fashion for 'gadroons', and the probable influence that Walsh may have had on other glass houses who subsequently copied the pattern  -  but whatever the truth in that comment Moore was certainly keen on the design.            They issued several Registered designs showing gadroons, with and without heavy columns, and there's no doubting the appearance is impressive - this impressiveness may have something to do with the almost 'prism-like effect' that such bold moulding creates. 
Jenny Thompson does include a reproduction of the factory drawing for 95775, plus other drawings of 'gadrooned' Registrations from Ed. Moore during 1887 and 1888.              Some glass houses appear to have taken the view that having once shown a given design and linked same to a Registration, they then issued further shapes without re-Registering the piece ............    Moore seem to have been keen to be more protective of their additional new shapes which seems to account for the fact that there are a number of separate Registered designs with gadroons. 

I know there are others here who have greater knowledge and experience of Registered designs and pressed glass from the second half of the C19, so whilst I can post the pix, others will have better information as to the history of such pieces and who may wish to add more detail to these posts. 

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: Ed. Moore and their passion for gadroons.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Does anybody have a photograph of the base of a registered 95775? It looks like it's quite plain in the representation.

I have the cream and lidded sugar in Rd 80013, but the base has an impressed starburst pattern.  Other than the base the gadroons and rope twist handles looks pretty much the same.

Rd 58275 is the earliest gadroon pattern I have from Moore.  That pattern came in different shapes, but didn't have the rope twist handles and the edge wasn't as rounded as 95775.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:13:24 AM »
Yes, thank you Anne.

The pattern in the base seems very similar, but the difference in design is obvious. 80013 only has twisted gadroons at the base. The main body of the pattern is vertical columns. I think I’ve spent so long looking at small details I’ve forgotten to look at the bigger picture.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand