No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight without certificate or box  (Read 1312 times)

Offline christinewalling!2364

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • western isles
Paperweight without certificate or box
« on: September 17, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
Might be a silly question, however I being a novice will ask, I have seen on eBay a weight a limited edition but it hasn’t got box or certificate, priced at quarter the price of price on Scotland sglass.co.Uk year was 2006. I am wanting to purchase as I simply love it, to me looks genuine has marks I expect to see on base, anted no of edition etched etc, says is priced such as has no box and certificate, would it be silly of me to be buying. Is the box and certificate really that needed?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Paperweight without certificate or box
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »
Do you actually want the box and certificate? They can add to an asking price if somebody is willing to pay it, they can be nice to have, and perhaps some purist collectors of Ltd Edn weights might insist on them, but if you love the glass and it is right, go right ahead.  ;D
They're just frills. It is the paperweight itself that matters.
(In my case, boxes just take up space I need for other things.  ::) ;D )
I would think a price quoted on Scotland's Glass would be the retail price, when new.
If you want to find a current valuation, do a search of sold auction listings with the name of the weight.
good luck.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 07:31:47 AM »
Many thanks for your info, did you just mean a search of and auction houses listed on google, I looked at quite a few, as well as Google’s completed listings but couldnt see it listed, I did buy it last night on eBay, as I figured like you said, I really liked it and no matter for me no box and certificate. However I am being surprised as it’s a Caithness one, I would have expected to have found some listings as was one of a hundred made 2006, but haven’t found any other listings. I had though I had previously seen on Caithness site, but not there now. It was advertised on eBay with the word word retired in brackets, am I right assuming that would mean all 100 were sold and not making any more? Any thoughts welcome

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
It is difficult to comment on something one doesn't see.
In 2006 Caithness issued two paperweight with LE 100: both from the butterfly series lampworked by Allan Scott. Like all prices quoted on ScotlandsGlass the £250 was the catalogue price - ScotlandsGlass is not trying to give evaluations. Whether all 100 (planned) were actually made is impossible to say: after the management changes in 2006/7 all this information seems to have been discarded :-(. There were definitely not more than 100 made. Usually you'd find a "nn/100" inscribed on the base. With a few designs I have seen this missing, when it could have distracted from the weight - with these designs, however, I don't see this reason. Possibly it was just missed and slipped through. It should not be a second - any LE weights not coming up to standard should have been destoryed.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Many thanks again for info, maybe I am thinking that we somehow are on one point talking cross purposes, as the number 35/100 is etched on the base, so i am nearly sure it is original, and yes it was the filigree fiery Achaea butterfly one, the rest of all your info has been most useful to know, many thanks again

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
Hearing it's an Allan Scott, no wonder you were taken with it.  ;D
I have images of 3 weights Allan made and exhibited at the Scottish Glass Society Exhibition in 2005.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »
Wow all those are just lovely too, best I like the amethyst one! My next task then is to read up on Allan Scott, who I know little about

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 04:13:56 PM »
 :) He's a member here. But he doesn't pop in very often. His work is absolutely exceptional.  8)
Another pic I have of the Amethyst Blue added. But these are all I have. (I couldn't add this pic in the last post - limit of 4)
My favourite was Neptune. I know who owns it and how much it is loved. :)

I have just done a board search for his name. We have articles about him here and you'll find the threads containing more of his work. Have fun.  ;D

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=search2
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 04:30:30 PM »
Many thanks I am learning!