No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small footed bowl ..salt ?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Small footed bowl ..salt ?
« on: September 19, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
Hi , this bowl is 2” high with a few air bubbles and small white inclusions, there is a few spots of wear along the foot where it sits.It has a small roughly polished pontil and a bit of the broken pontil remaining, finally it’s fairly thick .Any thoughts on use and age ? Thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Small footed bowl ..salt ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:26:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's a late Georgian salt probably early 19th Century. A nice piece  ;D
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »
you may well be correct Nev  -  what in particular suggests this is 1800 - 1830?  ;D

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »
The shape and the appearance of the glass and also the small ground pontil similar to wine glasses of that time. There are some similar ones online. It may even be a bit earlier.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
That’s the area I was thinking and perhaps later 18th ,there is a lot of tooling marks which I should have mentioned . I’ve found one one on line described as a salt with a firm dating of 1810,but how they can be so exact always surprises me ?!, perhaps the foot shape.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:29:06 PM »
hmmm  -  I remain to be convinced. ;D        I usually associate wide shallow ground pontil depressions with the first quarter of the C19, not small depressions, and tooling marks can be found on much glass up until machine work in the C20.       I'd also be very wary of on-line dated attributions unless supported with v.g. provenance  -  I always remember one seller who added to his sales text  -  "18th or possibly C19 - you make up your own mind."

If you look at Wilkinson, Fig. 236  -  he shows ten salts dating from c. 1730 - 1880, none of which look anything like this one.         It's not that I'm saying this can't be the date Nev suggests, but that the features mentioned might be almost anywhere in the C19.
The apparent small amount of wear would seem unusual for a piece of basic utility table ware that was 200 years old, or more.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 03:43:22 PM »
There are spots of wear which are well worn which maybe a better way of putting it, and white seed li
ke inclusions always pushes me back a bit in time, it could easily not be a salt though ?!.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »
Here’s the link I found , you have to scroll down a bit ,I don’t know much about them though .

https://legacyantiques.co.uk/glass/19th-century-glass/tableware/salts.html

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Bat20, yes it has quite a bit of wear on a small contact area. It's difficult to see but the pontil appears to be less than 1/2" across and I think this could date it to around 1800 but maybe as late as 1850. It's density also might help date it, P.7 of this post is about that,

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,10321.0.html

I think neilh says that  a density around 3.2gms./cm3 or above will date a piece to pre 1840. My gut feeling is it's earlier.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 07:47:08 PM »
I’m with Paul on this. I wouldn’t be able to say it definitely wasn’t that old but it has the look of some much more modern stuff to me. I would wonder if that sort of applied foot was right and wouldn’t they normally be cut? For some reason I don’t like the look of the bubble. I have a few vintage bowls that have enough wear to make them Georgian :) Is there any reason to rule out vintage rather than antique?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand