No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with label "R Y D Sweden" = Solve Carlsson  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Vase with label "R Y D Sweden" = Solve Carlsson
« on: September 04, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
Can anyone throw any light on this unusual 'brown' colour vase with a silver foil sticker please?  The label has an embossed rectangle and circle with RYD Sweden beneath.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/RYDSweden001.jpg

A search shows that there is a village in the Tingsryd municipality in the south of Sweden and Ryd is also a suburb of Skorde, Sweden, so the initials  RYD might well refer to the place of origin.  Unable to find any info on a Glass Works by that name.

Its a really quality piece approx. 11" high - quite heavy,  with a flat polished rim.

Many thanks :P
Anne E.B

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Vase with label "R Y D Sweden"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »
Glasnilson tillhör Ryd Gruppen Sveriges största glaskoncern som består av 25 fristående företag.

Apparently RYD is Swedens largest glass group consisting of 25 independent enterprises. I think their activity is limited to automotive & building industries - but could not get more info - and from a dodgy website.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »
Anne,

Ryd is listed in a list of glassworks on this site's homepage:
http://www.glasgalerie-zindel.nl/home/index.php

I have seen this label before - can't remember when, can't remember where, can't remember on what...  :?

robbo

[Edit: Ivo, you beat me to it!]
robbo

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
Hi Anne,  :D

The label is also pictured in Fire & Sea and Smoke & Ice, but no other information is provided.  :cry:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 09:28:15 PM »
Della,

That probably solves my mystery  :lol:

robbo
robbo

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:25:11 AM »
Many thanks Ivo, Robbo and Della :P   Much appreciated, as always :P

I will add a pic. of the label for interest's sake later, when the light is a little better.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Vase with label "R Y D Sweden" - update
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 10:23:52 PM »
Update.

I'm really delighted to say that my RYD vase is heading back 'home' to the glass designer's son Sven, who has kindly given me permission to share the following information.

The vase was designed by Sölve Carlsson.  Carlsson designed many pieces and outsourced the production to different glassworks, which is why his name is not known - and was not employed by any glassworks.  All the glass was sold under the name "GLASET, Sweden" - his own retail chain.

Sven has the original drawing of this vase and dates it to approximately 1965-69.  He also owns one in turquoise in two different sizes, and in grey.

The glassworks had the same name as the village and was closed down sometime around 1970.  Today, the most well known products out of RYD are boats with the name RYD.

I do hope Sven looks in on us :)
Anne E.B

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Vase with label "R Y D Sweden"
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »

Oh wow, Anne. What great information. Definitely a thread for the archives, don't you think?  ;D

How lovely that the piece is going home.  :)

How did you find out?
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Archive Candidate
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:45:06 PM »
Can you add any more images please. Preferably to yobunny so they can be preserved.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Vase with label "R Y D Sweden" = Sölve Carlsson
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:47 PM »
I think I need someone's help with the 3 additional pics. I've tried to download to Yobunny ::).  I wasn't too sure where to put them, and they've gone in 01.Glass queries.  Not sure how to put a link here to them either.  Anne, Frank or David - help please.
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand