No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb top hat posy vase - RD 298626  (Read 2538 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Thomas Webb top hat posy vase - RD 298626
« on: September 22, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
Found this the other day,  the engraved RD lozenge is so clear it was almost disappointingly easy to decipher! A little over 2 inches tall.

According to the info on the Great Glass website registered by Thomas Webb (26th Feb 1876, parcel 9).

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thomas Webb top hat posy vase - RD 298626
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 08:01:05 AM »
very unusual - sorry to seem thick John, but why the bluish effect?           

T/Webb were granted two separate Registrations that day  -  298626 and 298627 - both parcel 9, and both are shown in Gulliver as side elevation, but only half of each hat is drawn  -  no idea where the author sourced his drawings  -  not I don't think from the Board of Trade drawings which show both in full outline, unless Gulliver decided to save space by reducing the size of the drawing.
TNA Register omits any description of either, but Gulliver has written 'top hat' against 298626, and 'bowler' against 298627 - and this does look to be a good description bearing in mind the shape of each  -  and he describes these as 'flower holders'.             As usual there is an absence of dimensions on the original factory drawings.

I hate to cast nasturtiums but is it possible this one has been pressed some time in the intervening years?               I can post pix of the factory drawings if it's of any interest  -  let me know.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »
The bluish effect is caused by the rather cunning addition of pale blue glass, used in the trail around the rim and the 'double' band just above the brim of the hat. This one is definitely not pressed, the neat little polished pontil mark is the giveaway.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
Interesting piece, makes a nice change to be able to read the lozenge  ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 07:15:34 PM »
Very nice find.  Is it a toothpick holder?
Also that pale blue trail.  I often see items with that colour trail attributed to Richardson or queried as at least, so it's good to have something with the blue trail and an RD for Webb. 

Any chance of a pic against white so we can see the blue trail colour more clearly  :-*

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:27:44 PM »
having just trawled through Gulliver, this combination of a clear body with (solid) pale turquoise rim etc., is almost non-existent - though there is a machine threaded water jug which he attributes - without provenance - to Hodgetts, Richardson & Son c. 1877.           Is there any wear on the top of the hat John.

The only hat I can see in Hajdamach, is p. 389 (colour plate 46)  - obviously lacking any marks - since the author says ...........   " bowler hat, probably by Richardson's c. 1880 - height 2.3/4"  .. "

I know I'm suspicious by nature, but I'm worried that this is a more recent production. :)        How was this one sold?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »
Keith, I feel positively spoilt with such clarity! There is wear Paul, it was bought for a small sum of cash from a house clearance type dealer at a market (I trust my own judgement rather than a given seller's spiel).

It would be a toothpick holder if you put toothpicks in it... (sorry!), Paul mentioned earlier that Gulliver describes them as flower holders. I guess regardless of the intended use, assuming their was one suggested, that any utility rested with the end user.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:19:34 AM »
Nice colour!  It's a gem of a find :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
sorry to appear thick m, but aside from the colour of turquoise, how does this help us in 'comparison' with the top hat? ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand