No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb Webb's Alexandrite v. New England Amberina 19th c.  (Read 2091 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Thomas Webb Webb's Alexandrite v. New England Amberina 19th c.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
New England Glass Co. Amberina marked with paper label [ sticker ]. A facsimile taken from actual label. Oval paper, wording within printed oval, red ink.To my knowledge this is the only type of mark used. Reading top to bottom NEGW / AMBERINA / PAT' D / JULY 24. 1883

Marked MT. Washington examples also a paper label,. I have not seen an actual label. Recorded examples include the word " Rose Amber", their trade name for Amberina.

Libbey pieces c. 1917 marked with etched Libbey mark and Amberina etched mark. Recorded examples with just Libbey mark. Probably separate stamps/stencils.

Rare examples cut in the "RUSSIAN " pattern attributed to NEG co.

Hobbs, Brockunier & Company granted license in February,1886 for pressed version.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
Thank you Cagney!  Really appreciate that information.

I've been doing some reading and looking at my new piece of glass I'm still wondering what exactly it is and who might have made it. 

I'm sure it is old.    I think it's been heat treated to achieve the bright pink fade on it but cannot be sure it hasn't been carefully cased over paler glass for example.

It's definitely not Webb Alexandrite glass and it doesn't fluoresce green under UV although the paler glass glows orange - something I associate with Saint Louis glass oddly but I definitely don't associate this shape with French glass. Rather, I associate it with English or possibly American glass.

However ... the paler glass at the bottom fade is very pale, almost like a peachy/apricot pale clear glass.  That has confused me.  Most of the 'amberina - i.e. heat treated gold colloidal' glass I'm looking at seems to be a slightly darker version of amber at the bottom rather than this very pale peachy almost clear glass. 

It is lead I think - rings like a bell.  Has a beautifully polished pontil mark.  Has a hand crimped rim in a castellated version shape.  I am sure it's a late Victorian piece.

I'll post some photographs later if I can get a good light and a good representation of the colour, so that might be helpful.

Many thanks again.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 12:21:57 PM »
This is the palest pink and pale amber glass marked Libbey piece I could find.  I think my bowl is slightly paler than this even when I copy and paste comparison pics.  Hard to tell as mine only has the very pale straw colour at the very bottom (so no stem which is thicker or double glass effect for example) and has a lot of fuchsia pink on it:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4802705_1200-libbey-amberina-rib-optic-3035-footed-sugar-bowl

Pics coming - just needing to charge camera battery.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »
  You are almost where you probably want to be. Go directly to jefferysevans.com
Past auctions search function will reveal over 700 results for Amberina.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
Hope I've resized these to fit. 
The fuchsia colour is a good match.  It's lead glass I think.  The glass quality and pontil mark are right.
Is it Amberina or something else though as the pale amber is very pale and there is no match I can find on the shape at all.

If it's something else it's not Webb Alexandrite.  I do believe it's heat treated to get the colour.  Where could it be from?

These were taken in daylight and I think they are a good representation of the true colours.

It was bought because I 'needed'  ;D a piece of bright pink glass for decorating purposes. It does that job beautifully so I don't care who made it.  However I am  curious to know because of the colour and the way it's been made obviously. I think it's a quality and old piece.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
one more pic

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
Rubina comes to mind. Although the term is almost always associated with a flashed or cased glass some of it looks quite convincing as a homogeneous glass.The color on your piece is exceptional and also brings to mind some of Mosers  glass shading usually amethyst, ruby or green to clear.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »
I suppose it could br a question of: Is it an off amber? or an off clear?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
Yes I'd been looking up Rubina just in case.
I'll do some more searching.

I thought I'd achieved a good colour representation but just to clarify there is no amethyst in this at all.  It really is all bright bright fuchsia pink.
However the camera is picking up a darker shade as a fine line around the rim. (I've attached the pontil picture again where I think it can be seen). So I've held it up to bright daylight at a window and I think there is a very fine very thin darker almost red line around the rim.  I wonder if it has been finely cased without it showing really on the fade. That said, Webb Alexandrite has a dark fine line (chocolate) around the rim so the fact this has a darker fine rim doesn't definitively mean it was cased rather than heat-treated.

I understand your question about whether it is an 'off clear' or an 'off amber'.  I had exactly that question in my head :)  Having looked at lots of rubina (not rubina verde) glass it appears absolutely clear on the clear part and I think this is an 'off amber'.

The base glass at the bottom is definitely peachy and not clear. I just wonder if this is because it's been reheated and because it has colloidal gold in the mix? Just pondering on how the maker would have achieved a bright fuchsia pink without it being colloidal glass and reheated.  I think that's the only way probably but I am certainly no chemist and neither a glassmaker so that's just my thoughts.

I really don't think it's Bohemian glass.  I think it's likely to be English or American but never say never (bought in the UK).  I am also completely sure it is old glass and I think lead glass.  So it's come from a good maker but who is the question :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand