No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a fugitive from purchase tax  (Read 654 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
a fugitive from purchase tax
« on: October 09, 2021, 10:14:56 AM »
sorry the pix aren't too clever .........   don't see square celeries too often, in fact have I ever seen such a thing?        An otherwise ordinary and unimaginative piece of moulded clear glass - Brunswick stars with daisy wheel type thingies, with flared shape to rim area.            Absolutely no idea as to maker or origin  -  might even be an eastern European import, though assume made for the U.K. market  - but it was obviously made to avoid purchase tax - probably during the 1950s - and it takes some hunting to find the connection as to why it hoped to avoid the tax.   
The chance of anyone knowing pattern or maker etc., is probably non existent - but if someone does know, please shout, and thanks for looking.       Height is 6 inches (c. 15 cms.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: a fugitive from purchase tax
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
That looks very like my "monster vase" shown here https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2199.msg17439.html#msg17439 which turned out to be from Century Glass, Edmonton London. 
  I just wonder if yours could have come from the same?  Max gave some really useful information about Century Glass.  If you scroll down to her comments in para 6, it mentions vases that doubled up as celeries to avoid luxury tax  https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2375.0.html     
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: a fugitive from purchase tax
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:26:27 AM »
thanks Anne - and I remember having one too  -  I recall the black plinth which has those odd shaped corners into which the bowl fits, and agree it really is a lump - mine went out a long time ago and having now looked in my glass archive seems I didn't take a photo.           The one I've just posted isn't a match for the Century piece - the impressed pattern is slightly different -  though there are striking similarities, and wouldn't rule out mine not being from the same stable.           Judging by the base wear, I'd also suggest this one wasn't issued with a plinth  -  if only all glass carried an Rd. No. 

thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand