No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Revivalist glass vase  (Read 1441 times)

Offline JOK

• Members
Revivalist glass vase
« on: October 11, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
Looks like a historicist design, made circa 1900-1920?, but any idea who might have made it? the colour is too dark for Powell probably. Maybe Continental or British. Thanks for your help

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Revivalist glass vase
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:27:00 PM »
Would you please add your images directly to the board so they remain accessible in the future? Many of the externally hosted images disappear after a while, leaving us lost as to what the item looked like.   If it's easier for you (and with your consent) I can copy your images from your external hosting and add them here for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »
I have an amber glass lamp with the same side decoration which I assumed dates to the early C20th. Haven't identified the maker for mine yet but I thought British - possibly Stuart or Webbs ? - not sure how either might fit with your vase.

Ian

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 01:12:47 PM »
sorry to seem thick, but what sort of period/style does the expression 'historicist design' imply  -  are we talking arts and crafts, possibly?         Agree, it looks way too dark for W/Fs, though some of the Powell designs in what was called 'facon de Venise' c. 1870s, do have sticky out bits, though not exactly like this one.          Have to say that when I first saw this piece I had a sort of Chinese moment, but expect that's way off the truth.       

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 04:00:19 PM »
I assumed historicist referred to the ancient/Roman style of the applied loops, which immediately made me think of Beranek, but I couldn't find anything like this when I searched.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
it's always possible JOK meant to say historical  -  as in old  -  but I didn't get the impression it was implying ancient/Roman  -  but who knows.         I don't know that I would be capable of using the word historicist correctly.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 05:09:23 PM »
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 08:39:31 PM »
thanks - appreciate the link, and the meanings look to suggest that the word was probably misleading in the context of the glass in question  -  a mistake we all make occasionally. :)   Of course I could be completely wrong again. 

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
Hi JOK,
Looking at the colour range of Webb's on the message board, I'm more inclined to match your vase and my lamp to Webb:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56272.0.html

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to add a photo my lamp here. I've done everything to get the size right but it keeps refusing to post it.

Ian

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
agree Ian - T/Webb did a vast range of colours - possibly more than other houses, but, I think we'd be on taking a great risk in attributing this one to Webb based on the colour alone.     These side loops/handles whatever, are intriguing and unusual.

sorry to hear of the problem with pix  -  if you download the freebie programme IrfanView, this might help.     The first picture dimension should be about 700, but you can go to 900, provided the second is no more than about 650.     Assume you're using a phone and not camera?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand