No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi style decanter or bottle vase  (Read 671 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Scandi style decanter or bottle vase
« on: October 26, 2021, 01:45:09 PM »
I assume this is a decanter.
The details: Height of 13 inches or 32cm. Width of 5.5 inches or 14 cm. The base is concave and pulled up inside the glass.
It reminded me of Kastrup/ Holmegaard when I saw it, but I haven't managed to match it to them or any other Scandinavian maker of the period. I did wonder if it was fairly recent ( there isn't much wear on the base) as I know IKEA have been selling glass in a very similar colour, but much googling hasn't found another yet and if it was pretty modern I think I'd have come across other examples (...well maybe! :).

So over to you on your thoughts!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Scandi style decanter or bottle vase
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 06:05:22 PM »
sorry, no idea, but the indent in the base is called a 'kick' - goes back to a time when this was done for the very practical reason of strengthening the glass at the base.     If there's an absence of any wear in the neck opening then probably a carafe, but if there's some wear at the location of a stopper then your first thoughts correct  -  though as you say could simply be a vase.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:19:08 PM »
Thanks Paul, some interesting info I didn't know!

I've just done a reverse image search on my photo and found another on Etsy. The seller mentions it has a 'handmade quality' label, which I presume (not a clear photo) is the same one usually found on glass sold in IKEA etc. So probably very recent production.

...ah well!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 06:36:04 AM »
You might have to wait thirty years for nostalgia to kick in about our current era, then you could find you have the 'collectable of the future'. Ikea often commission work from talented young designers and if a name becomes famous you could have a sleeper there. It does look more interesting than quite a bit of Ikea's more prosaic output.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand