No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barovier and Toso? Bowl  (Read 1781 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Barovier and Toso? Bowl
« on: November 05, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »
I'm fairly sure this is by Barovier and Toso possibly designed by Ercole Barovier. The shape is certainly one used by them but I can't find the same decoration anywhere. It is in uranium glass, 18cm. diameter and 880gms.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Barovier and Toso? Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »
This is quite a generic shape made by multiple factories I think. Can't say I've ever seen that pattern before though!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »
Thanks Wayne, there seem to be more attributed to B&T than anyone else but as usual not definitely. More research needed.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »
Not easy Nev as Wayne says there is a lot of stuff of similar shape. Give Seguso VdA a go only based on the scallops? on the back of it. I have seen this shape used many times in their work. Have one myself. Don't have a photo to show as it has some damage and I use it as a spoon rest for cooking! Here's one on ebay with similar back but not as attractive as yours. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1950s-Italian-Murano-Handmade-Art-Glass-Controlled-Bubbles-Gold-Bowl-/324075426828?hash=item4b7466940c
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks ardy, I actually found two with similar, coloured spots in Wayne's database but he only gives a possible Barovier attribution.

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=275_276_330&products_id=5611

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=275_276_330&products_id=4185

I've looked at Seguso bowls but often the attribution is Seguso/Barovier so no closer. I'll keep looking, one might turn up with a label.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand