No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb cut/engraved vase for show  (Read 898 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Thomas Webb cut/engraved vase for show
« on: November 11, 2021, 09:16:47 PM »
Another T.W. piece with the mid thirties to later forties circular back stamp.          A pan-topped flower vase I assume - c. 8 inches tall (20 cms.) with radial star burst cutting around a pontil depression (not shown).
Of most interest is what I'd suggest are the copper wheel cut stylized flowers, with parts left matt from the wheel and others polished, and it looks to be that this one isn't intaglio.       The flower is very attractive and skillfully produced, particularly the out rim of the flower which appears as a slightly shade  -  the mitres look to be cut in standard form.           All comments welcome  -  praiseworthy, or contentious. ;D

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Thomas Webb cut/engraved vase for show
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 11:04:03 PM »
Hopefully not too contentious ;D but I think this one could also be Intaglio.

I recently acquired a tatty ex library copy of John Northwood by John Northwood II. He seems quite proud of the technique and shows a few examples. There is one ‘Modern Intaglio’ (that is modern for 1968) that shows a vase without what Hajdamach calls  the standard Intaglio shape cuts but has very similar flowers and those v cut leaves and stalk. Maybe.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thomas Webb cut/engraved vase for show
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
 ............  last line was supposed to read ...........  'slightly different shade etc.........  '.

;D No problem with contentious - I really must look into this subject more fully.    thanks.

I suspect there is the usual misunderstanding re the dates of use of these T.W. back stamps.             Although this circular 'Made in England/Webb' mark allegedly ceased c. late 1940s, wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it continued well into the 1950s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand