No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Round decanter with smoke stopper  (Read 658 times)

Offline flora

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Dutch and Scandanavian
    • USA
Round decanter with smoke stopper
« on: November 20, 2021, 07:21:58 PM »
Can anyone help identify this pretty decanter?

New to collecting and can't find this one, though I think it's similar to this "Ramona" Per Lutken Holmegaard one I found on eBay, but not the same. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304105946830

It also has an odd stamp I can't make out that I haven't seen before.

Many thanks in advance for help or tips/resources on identifying pieces on my own. I've found this page super helpful but a little difficult to navigate.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flora

• Members
    • Dutch and Scandanavian
    • USA
Re: Round decanter with smoke stopper
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:47:07 PM »
here's a better picture

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flora

• Members
    • Dutch and Scandanavian
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 07:48:45 PM »
and here's the mark I can't make out

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »
Hi - regret I can't decipher it either - always possible it's a fault in the glass.       Photographing back stamps and other makers marks can often be a problem insofar as being able to reproduce them clearly enough so they're legible enough for posting.      Angling the light and avoiding glare helps sometimes - rubbing some talc on the area might help to highlight the words.        As you can imagine, there are zillions of decanters in a vast array of designs  -  though looking at this one the colour might suggest a Scandi connection - but then smoky was a common colour from that area.
Lutken was with Holmegaard (Danish) for a long time  -  according to the books, Lutken's pieces are commonly applied with the engraved Holmegaard - followed by the production date framing his own PL monogram i.e. 19PL59              Sorry this isn't the answer you wanted - hopefully others will have a more constructive reply for you.
Having now looked at one or two 'Ramona' bottles on the screen, it appears that they are without any factory/PL inscribed provenance/attribution  -  why this should be I've no idea  -  Scandi not my interest.            This seems unusual in view of the comments that 'Ramona' as a PL design goes back to c. early 1950s.

Do have another go at photographing the underside.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
one possible reason for these Ramona bottles to be without a Holmegaard provenance might be ...................    Lutken died twenty odd years back I believe, but assume commercially the decanter design remains successful.            So Ramona is still made, but since the designer is no longer with us, his name/initials are no longer applied to the pieces???          Pieces reputed to be by a given designer, but lacking the necessary scratched attribution are potentially open to question  -  when some reasonable value is involved, then the copyists are sometimes known to be near at hand. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand