No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Fir Cone pattern No. 5000 - Rd. 777133  (Read 837 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Jobling Fir Cone pattern No. 5000 - Rd. 777133
« on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
Despite the age of this very first design from Jobling, the Fir Cone pattern remains one of the more commonly seen designs which we've had on the Board no doubt countless times.   The reason for posting again is that I couldn't recall having seen a slumped shape before  -  there is an eight-way crimp to this one, and I don't recall that the factory were into crimped/slumped shapes.    It reacts to the u.v. torch though not spectacularly - there is little if any wear, and the Rd. No. is very faint - on the outside of the base.             If you're watching Steven, perhaps you have a little more information that you might be able to add - many thanks.  :)             Maximum diameter of this one is c. 9.5 inches (about 24 cm.).

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling Fir Cone pattern No. 5000 - Rd. 777133
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 02:52:13 AM »
Hi Paul, the crimped plate was one of the available variants as shown in the 1934 catalogue. They turn up fairly often in standard colours and opalique, though I don't recall seeing many in jade. There's also a version of the crimped 8 inch fir cone plate, seemingly always in green with a satin finish, that has a strengthening ring and dimple moulded into the base to allow for drilling and mounting to a metal foot.

Probably the rarest crimped plate is the 7000 bird pattern. This one isn't catalogued, but I've had a few examples over the years, both with 8 crimps and three. The three crimp variant seems more common but both are hard to find. https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-9338

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling Fir Cone pattern No. 5000 - Rd. 777133
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »
many thanks Steven - oh well, showing my ignorance again. :)  - and appreciate your usual in depth information on this Jobling material.           Another one to go back to the charity shop I think.  thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand