No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso Glass Vase  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Ladydanger

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • antiques and vintage items
    • Netherlands
Sommerso Glass Vase
« on: December 09, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have this beautiful vase, I think it's Italian. Im quite a glass noob, but I noticed at the opening of the vase (on the inside) it feels a bit sharp and looks not very smooth. Is this damage or is this normal and caused by cutting the glass when it was made?

Would love to know your thoughts

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Opening Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »
In my experience it's quite common to find little nicks like this to the inside rim of narrow stem vases. It most likely occurs when the top is ground flat. If the top was wider then they might give it a bevelled edge to remove the nicks, but I guess there's not much room to do that on these narrow vases. If you think about it, it would be quite difficult for damage to occur there by accident. To the outside rim, sure, but the inside would be quite hard to knock against something.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »
Confession time. I have done this to the inner neck rim of a glass vase, poking things into it to try to clean a cruddy bottom.
I levered against the sharp cut edge, and knocked bits out of it. :'(
I haven't done that to anything else since. I was horrified at myself. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ladydanger

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 08:34:00 PM »
In my experience it's quite common to find little nicks like this to the inside rim of narrow stem vases. It most likely occurs when the top is ground flat. If the top was wider then they might give it a bevelled edge to remove the nicks, but I guess there's not much room to do that on these narrow vases. If you think about it, it would be quite difficult for damage to occur there by accident. To the outside rim, sure, but the inside would be quite hard to knock against something.

Thank you so much for the reply, very helpful. I also thought it would be hard to damage it from the inside. Although Sue's story sounds like something I could have done  :D

Offline Ladydanger

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 08:38:34 PM »
Confession time. I have done this to the inner neck rim of a glass vase, poking things into it to try to clean a cruddy bottom.
I levered against the sharp cut edge, and knocked bits out of it. :'(
I haven't done that to anything else since. I was horrified at myself. ::)

Oh no! :D Thanks for sharing! Those things happen to the best of us, I can imagine it was a hard lesson...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
I cried. It was a very heavy clear vase, carefully brought home from Holland in our hand luggage. I ruined it. The chips show:'(
But I learned my lesson. Do not use a knife to poke at the bottom of anything.
If you must, try using something wooden or plastic.  ;) ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 12:54:30 AM »
Regardless of the neck issue. the sommerso effect is well done. Not a rare piece of glass but well worth holding onto.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand