No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual stoppers - ID = Lalique "Pouilly" stoppers  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
unusual stoppers - ID = Lalique "Pouilly" stoppers
« on: December 20, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »
I have 3 of these stoppers, one is ground two are not. They are clear glass but the raised fish are a pale green which does not show very well in my images. They measure aprx. 6cm tall, the fishy part is 4.5cm diameter the lower part is 2.5cm. Each stopper weighs aprx. 128grms. Being a keen angler I bought them and have wondered ever since as to who made them and where they come from and what they went into?
Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: unusual stoppers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:42:34 PM »
agree, very interesting, but regret no positive idea as to maker other than suggesting Lalique.    They often created large ball-shaped stoppers in order to show some creative moulding etc., and sometimes these had added colour  -  I think fish were among the motifs they used.        Failing which one of the other French makers of decorative bottles - either scent of booze - from the early deco period perhaps.                 Take it there aren't any matching Nos. on the stubs?

sorry this is a bit lacking in helpful information.   

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 09:43:33 AM »
Thanks for your reply, I had wondered if Lalique but the pale green colour didn't seem right, I associate Lalique with clear not colour. But as you say they did sometimes add colour I wonder as the moulding does look like Lalique.

Two of the stoppers do have numbers on the stubs, the one in my image is marked 34 one of the others has 14. The one with the ground stub has no number.

Thanks again for your help it's really appreciated.

Regards Mick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
Hi  -  the presence of matching Nos. doesn't of course give us any clues as to maker but the type of script might just push us in the direction of suggesting Continental or not.        There's no doubt that over the Channel they write Nos. a little different to the U.K., or come to that the States too.         Their 'hand' if often a tad more florid than us Anglo Saxons - cross bars on sevens etc.
But these are good looking and interesting to own  -  the fish are stylized we know, but they made me think of Piranha maybe ;D

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
The script looks Anglo Saxon what do you think?

The fish look more like Carp to me.

I have attached 2 images of the stubs.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
agree the script does look a bit northern Europe ish ...........    perhaps I was imagining they had more teeth  -  carp sounds a more likely source of a stylized fish.               Another possibility is perhaps Czechoslovakian.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 10:31:58 PM »
It really reminds me of Lalique perfumes like this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/ac/02/8dac0238694169d2d3b4a8c72947e810.jpg

Some interesting bottles and finishes here as well. 
https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/buy/rene-lalique-perfume-bottles/

I'm trying to think what maker might have done a similar effect but nothing coming to mind.

It's gorgeous.  Beautiful movement.

m

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks for the links, very interesting, the more I look at these early Lalique items the more I think these stoppers look very similar.

As you say beautiful movement.

Mick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 04:35:05 PM »
There was a "big moment" on Antiques Roadshow when some scarce Lalique vase with green staining was found.
The person who owned it had bought the plant that was in it at a boot sale.  :)

Found a colour piccie here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/4JlYjFWF1NSVGHlxZDh9lRS/eric-knowles
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
Hi Sue thanks for the link, it is a similar colour just need to find the bottles for the stoppers to go in now!!

Appreciated Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand