No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1928 Army and Navy Catalogue - Glass Section  (Read 1908 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
1928 Army and Navy Catalogue - Glass Section
« on: January 14, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
Hi folks,

I recently bought a bashed up version of the 1928-9 Army & Navy Stores catalogue. If you have seen the 1907 catalogue, which was published as a book, you will know how useful these can be for filling in gaps in missing pattern books, or for working out when lines were offered or withdrawn.

The numbers given with each item are usually the factory pattern number, so if you know the range from another document, it should in theory be possible to separate out those from various manufacturers in these catalogues. (note all are prefixed "C.G." for China and Glass section)

In that spirit I am starting a thread to go through the glass section of this catalogue, to see if anyone can spot the patterns and work out the manufacturer. I suspect they will nearly all turn out to be Midlands firms. These images are all from my personal copy. There are 14 pages to go through which I will split in halves so we get a decent look at the images given file size restrictions.

If there is sufficient interest I will start up another thread for glass items outside the glass section in the same catalogue, which includes a couple of Whitefriars items.

Looking forward to any contributions...

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: 1928 Army and Navy Catalogue - Glass Section
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:18:14 PM »
Very good Neil, some look similar to the Webb and Corbett pieces shown here.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Webb-Corbett-1910.358+B6YmFja1BJRD0zNTgmcHJvZHVjdElEPTE0MzgwJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:10 PM »
On the third page, middle top no. 22887 is a Stuart Stratford vase. The number matches. See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32831.msg177779.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
That's a good start... there are quite a few items numbered in the 22000's 23000's... maybe they are all Stuart

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 09:36:57 AM »
More crystal vases...

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:43:57 PM »
Showing the front and back of the glass section next, before we chew on the rest of the middle. The front page is all pyrex which may show its importance at this time. The last page includes some tumbler patterns which date back to the 1850s, maybe earlier.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 07:32:23 PM »
Well, we live and learn, but have to say I've never heard of an 'eared dish' or a 'ramikin'  -  also have a PYREX oval casserole which sits inside a chromed casing with ball feet.     Will have a look at some of these in the coming days.       
Some time last year ? we did a tumbler thread - always possible some of those might match with the page just added here.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 11:15:42 AM »
On to decanters - there are named sets here which somebody must surely know of... "Montrose", "Bute", "Albany", "Victoria", Warwick"

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 11:21:47 AM »
Paul, ramikins or ramekins were all the rage when creme brulee was the dessert of choice  ;D
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 10:25:34 PM »
The last of the decanter pages, and a page of fruit bowls

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand