No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Libochovice?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline CarolineS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage Glass
    • United Kingdom
Is this a Libochovice?
« on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:16 PM »
Hi, I found this lovely 23cm tall, hexagonal lens vase and after much searching, I think it is a Libochovice, but cannot find any reference for it. Can anyone help to identify please?
Many thanks
C

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this a Libochovice?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:50:13 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB :)  - I think you're correct - it does appear to be Libochovice (Czechoslovakian) - the height is given as 24 cm. as opposed your 23 cm., but measurements with pressed glass are often not precise.
The Pattern No. looks to be 2190 from the pre 1958 catalogue - it may be on Pamela's pressglas.pavillon.de museum under the Musterbuch listings.           If you don't have the Sklo-Union book or the CD that came with the book you may struggle to find an image.          Just a personal opinion, but I'd be inclined to describe the lenses as circular. ;)            This factory knocked out similarly designed patterns with square and circular patterning in profusion, hope I haven't got this one wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline CarolineS

• Members
    • Vintage Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:58 PM »
Thank you Paul for the warm welcome and the info.
I had been searching for hours, including the catalogue, for a picture. I will check out Pamela's Musterbuch listings.
(Ebay has many similar vases listed as Art Deco with no mention of Libochovice!)
I found the vase dumped in the street, but unfortunately they had thrown another horrible vase inside it, which is why the inner base is a bit damaged.
I like it, it's very heavy! Thank you for the tip about the lenses, they are circular and the vase is six sided.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:41:48 PM »
I once found a W/Fs Tricorn vase sitting on the kerb along the main A23 out of London, and remarkably without damage.     As for dating designs from Libochovice, success is difficult unless we can find them in the records of the BoT Design Registers, now at TNA at Kew  -  they exported to the U.K. via British importers/agents during the inter-war period through Hoskins Ros. also apparently through another import company by the name of  M. & H. Guggenheim.    The company was a very long lived one  -  1911 - 2006 apparently, though the designs in which we're interested would be generally from 1920s to c. 1950s - at a rather uneducated guess I'd suggest this design was originally somewhere around 1940 - 1950  -  perhaps someone else here is able to narrow this down.           
1940 might legitimately be called late deco, but 1950 is stretching the period too much, but that's to overlook the fact that 'deco' is an association word that increases the value of a design so it gets used inappropriately, often. :)            Sorry to hear of the damage.

Much of the above information comes courtesy of Marcus Newhall's book 'Sklo Union' (it apparently means 'pressed glass')  -  published 2008.         If you can find a copy it should ideally still contain the CD which details the factory designs and original catalogues.

Offline CarolineS

• Members
    • Vintage Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »
It's so great when you find free stuff on the street, especially glass that's not damaged. I've found some very nice pottery pieces also. I'm in South Wimbledon so know the A23 well.
I'll be looking out for the book, I did come across it during my online searching, but it's expensive and I might just find it at the Jumble sale, you never know...
I have a pair of perfume bottles which I'm pretty sure are Art Deco, given to me by an aunt in France, I'll need to post them on the message board if I can't find them on Google.
Thanks again for the help and welcome to the GMB community

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 05:59:33 PM »
art deco is definitely over used, but there's no denying its appeal.      It's really a name tag for a style, and something need not have originated in the twenties or thirties to qualify, though most 'art work' from that period probably will  - a piece of art or glass or whatever can legitimately be deco if it shows the hallmarks of that era, even though it was made yesterday.       Look forward to seeing your scents/perfumes. 
As for the book, as always it depends on how much you want it  -  the copy on Amazon may seem a little pricey, but if you've no other way of acquiring the catalogues then it could be seen as value for money  -  can't really see this one turning up at a jumble sale ...........   are there still such things? :)         Perhaps boot fairs have taken their place  -  those in the Epsom area are usually v.g. for pressed glass.

Offline CarolineS

• Members
    • Vintage Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 09:48:20 PM »
I know what you mean about Art Deco when people are selling, original pieces are very stylish. I have some at home and I love the era, but I don't buy them unless they are free or Jumble Sale cheap.
I'll photograph the perfume bottles and upload. They are probably Czech and almost surely 1930/40's. They're not marked, it's such a pity glass is nearly always not marked.
There are still Jumble Sales, though not many since Covid, and some have hundreds of books - though, as you say, highly unlikely to turn up at the jumble. Anyway, you have been kind enough to give me the pattern number.
I have been to Hook Road, but I prefer Walton...( worked op the clock tower many moons ago) Kempton Antiques Fair is great too and sometimes turn up in Raynes Park. Bought a lovely 'Art Deco' shade there for £15 which sold for £73.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
Hi  -  notice that you don't have a GMB contact envelope for pm contact.               Just a thought, but if you wanted more details on the Libochovice catalogue, or others from the Sklo Union database, I can provide if of interest  -  you'll need to send me a pm - via the Board - and I will then send information.             Just a suggestion. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board CarolineS. I just wanted to flag up that the PM system on the board doesn't work between members, it only works from moderators to members, but if you want to contact Paul I am happy to act as a relay for you both as my email is accessible from the wee box to the left of this post.

I'm also interested in your perfume bottles, as an avid collector and researcher of glass trinket sets and all things related to them, so I look forward to seeing your photos of them.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »
this appears to be a change to the system then, Anne?  -  am sure there was a time that it was possible to communicate with others, through the Board, via that little envelope.        I have in fact sent a couple of messages in recent times to someone here, not realizing it was no longer working  -  no wonder I didn't receive replies !!       I thought the whole idea of showing the envelope was so that people could chat through the Board?                         Of course, thanks for the offer of being 'the go between' :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand