No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early English lead Glass Decanter??  (Read 704 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Early English lead Glass Decanter??
« on: January 25, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Picked this up in a local second hand shop today and it has got my blood bubbling
as it is exactly the kind of glass that i love to find, It appears to be an early 19th maybe
earlier decanter i would love to hear any views on it i took a chance on it as they had washed
it a few hours back and it was quite steamed up inside but the base shows the price and it was
to cheap not to buy it. The base has a very big polished area with a rim of mossy polished wear
i believe this is a good sign of an early decanter i think i have read somewhere before and the stopper
seems a good match but not sure. It is quite wide at the base of the decanter unusual ?
Thank you very much ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
Re: Early English lead Glass Decanter??
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 04:29:54 PM »
Nice find. 1830 ish English decanter. Stopper seems fine and certainly same period of decanter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »
Looks good. I bought it’s brother last week but mine wasn’t such a bargain - I had to splash out £5 ;D

I too was going for early 19th century, but will need to check the details in McConnell, I can never remember the date range given for various characteristics but not too fussed by a decade here or there.

Mine was also wet inside but find clouding in a 200 year old decanter acceptable and would expect to see it really. In yours, notice how the height of the stopper in the neck looks perfect, like it grew there. In my view, the position of the stopper in the neck needs to look like that for it to be original even if everything else seems right (I think you said it was low in your other recent example). Nice.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:04:42 AM »
 :) Thanks for great replies again the brother looks very nice a Prussian i believe i think £5 is a fair
price all day long i must admit i am finding it very hard to let any of the early English glass go these
days do you have the same affliction? The stopper info is very useful thing also makes perfect sense thanks Dan

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:13:15 PM »
It is hard to leave it behind...especially a nicely cut decanter with the original stopper. I’m getting more fussy though, used to buy almost anything with a polished pontil. Much of it has gone back to the charity shop, so now I try and leave it there...unless it’s particularly good or interesting (and cheap :D ). It’s good to get something to investigate.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »
Very nice. Everything looks just right. One to enjoy. Fill it up...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand