No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pantareuna bowl by Timo Sarpaneva for Iittala for show.  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Pantareuna bowl by Timo Sarpaneva for Iittala for show.
« on: January 29, 2022, 02:25:07 PM »
From one of my walks earlier in the week - apparently 'Pantareuna' means folded rim, and one of the very short i-series of pieces designed by Sarpaneva, and made in burgundy, green and this blue between 1956 and 1960  ............   hope I have all the details correct, but if not please shout  -  apparently green is the least common  -  this blue one looks to be i-302.        Timo Sarpaneva  worked for Iittala (Finnish) for what seems like eons - a very highly respected designer.

Diameter about 8.5 inches (c. 21.5 cm.) and height about 6.5 inches (16.5 cm.)  -  ground/polished flat base, with stylus inscription which reads  'Timo Sarpaneva - Iittala - 57'.       About the right size for a goldfish bowl  -   provided you didn't want to see the goldfish.

Copying some Scandi designs and features was not uncommon from the early 1930s through to 1960s  - W/Fs and others, and this folded rim appears to have been copied by F.T. for Dartington - possibly in red only and such pieces are uncommon and probably expensive  -  unfortunately, I don't have a Dartington example to show, but if anyone cares to add a picture it would be an interesting comparison.    I now forget the approximate date of the F.T. introduction, but likely some time in the 1960s.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Pantareuna bowl by Timo Sarpaneva for Iittala for show.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 06:04:28 PM »
Thanks for posting something in the Scandinavian section Paul.
Lovely item of glass.
In the book Designlasin hintakirja (price book) the name for that bowl is given as Kaannettyreunaiset.
Which translates to covered edges.
It seems there are quite a few sizes and colours. You are right about the green version being the most expensive.
I do not have my own image of the Frank Thrower Dartington version but it is in the Dartington book. FT80 from 1968.
If you are thinking releasing it back into the wild could you let me know.
Tim

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
thanks Tim  -  am sure you're 100% better informed than me re details of this design  -  so we'll go for Kaannettyreunaiset - thanks.       I will probably hang on to this one for a month or so but promise will give you a nod before it leaves my hands.                thanks again. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »
polite request please that the Mods. (Anne) include Tim's correct name of 'Kaannettyreunaiset' into the subject heading - many thanks.                 

Tim, perhaps you'd like to send me a pm with your thoughts along the lines of your suggestion - cheers.

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 09:16:41 PM »
Maybe hold fire on the heading change. After looking around on the net Pauls bowl is referred to
as Pantareuna.
I'm going back to check my source.
Tim

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 09:50:12 AM »
How light in weight is the bowl Paul? Some of the i series vessels are really finely blown, very elegant.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
no idea John as I no longer have this one  -  from memory not as heavy as might be imagined, reasonably fine in structure and certainly not chunky. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 08:04:16 AM »
Okay, thanks Paul.

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »
Just a short update. Until the 1970s a lot of glass in Finland was only referred to by product number.
In an early catalogue Pauls bowl was described as i bowl with TURNED rim "kaannetty reuna"
At some point the name changed to BAND rim "pantareuna" and this is the way this bowl is now known.
Credit to Antiikki myyra (Antique Mole) on the Designlasi.com forum.
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand