No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small 19th Century chunky bottle / carafe  (Read 860 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Small 19th Century chunky bottle / carafe
« on: February 03, 2022, 09:38:42 PM »
Would someone please suggest a function for this small bottle? I doubt that it's an early prototype for Shippam's crab paste(!) so could it be a particularly small carafe or a bottle to hold a single measure of water to mix with a spirit? It's a chunky piece that fits comfortably in one hand, with a faceted neck and ground pontil, standing 9.5cm tall. It also has an interesting yellow tinge.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Small 19th Century chunky bottle / carafe
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
Hi, how well does it pour? With that thick curved rim I imagine it might dribble everywhere if used as a carafe?

Maybe the crab paste idea is close, or some sort of preserve with a cloth cover tied on with string around the rim. I did think it looks a bit like a cupping cup but maybe too chunky for that :)

I tend to think clear glass with a yellow tint is from early 20th century - there is a topic here that might be of interest: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=23733.0
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »
In line with your thoughts, it's worth considering this to be an example of a 'spirit measure'  -  we've had these on the Board previously.        Usually of a mini-carafe shape in outline - and often with faceted necks and fairly wide flanged mouths (apparently without pouring lips) - this is about the right height too.
If this is a measure, there should be some indication externally on the neck in the form of a cut notch or tiny mitre, to indicate the level of correct capacity  -  not always easy to see unfortunately.
As to the yellow tinge, perhaps they forgot the manganese that day ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 02:48:53 PM »
In line with Paul's thoughts, I'd found this to compare the kind of shape:

https://www.19cglass.co.uk/product/victorian-richardsons-patent-1-2-gill-measure/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »
I don’t think it’s a measure because of that rim, it looks like an applied ring. Why would they put that there and not just have a flared mouth that would probably pour much better?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 06:49:28 PM »
I’ve got a stoneware ink pot exactly 9.5 cm ??

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »
Many thanks for the input, everyone. I poured some water from the bottle and while it wasn't a particularly clean stream, it didn't dribble down the side; it still wouldn't suggest use as a carafe. I think the one thing that might discount it as a measure is the lack of capacity indication; I can't see a mark anywhere. It might well be an ink bottle but the neck interior is both wide and curved so it would need quite a large cork, perhaps disproportionate to the bottle's size. Additionally, the cut panels might suggest that it was intended as something 'better' than a simple utilitarian item. As for the yellow tinge being a possible indicator of age, I don't have the knowledge to say one way or the other but the heavy scuffing and scratches to the underside would seem consistent with a reasonable age. I think I'll just stick it in a corner of the dresser shelf as a mystery object!

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 11:57:50 AM »
Just out of interest how wide is the opening ?Here’s a modern glass ink pot for calligraphy.1” stopper

https://arabiccalligraphysupplies.com/accessories-archive/tall-inkwell-with-cork

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 08:53:06 PM »
The internal diameter is 3cm so maybe an ink bottle after all. Well done for finding such an obscure website, by the way!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand