No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent wrythen moulded beaker ?  (Read 755 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Opalescent wrythen moulded beaker ?
« on: February 16, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »
Hi , this glass is 8cm ht and 6cm wd ,it has one of those round rough pontil marks and the base pushed up .There is good wear for a piece that’s so delicate and a blip on the rim when it was cut and worked on .If it wasn’t opalescent I think I would be looking at an earlier date because of the small bubbles and inclusions and it does have a ring when flicked,so I don’t think it’s soda .My first thought on it’s date would be late Victorian and I’m guessing it was made as a drinking glass ,but it may not be ?Does anyone know when this type of opalescent glass started being produced,any other thoughts would be welcome….thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Opalescent wrythen moulded beaker ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:48:24 AM »
I’m still exploring possibilities for this piece and one of those is late 19th century murano?.Does anyone know if this was a type of pontil scar found on their smaller pieces ?,thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 11:42:07 AM »
You would expect to find a snapped pontil mark on the base if antique Murano, often a four point mark but not exclusively. However, after flicking through my books that show many tumblers all have far more elaborate decoration than this, yours looks a tad subtle for Murano to my eye! All of those highly decorated examples have a much thinner base too. The only examples that have a thick base like yours are shown on page 136 of Venetian Glass of the 1890s: Salviati at Stanford University, there are three and they are plain glass and each is decorated with hand painted enamel motifs.

John

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 12:14:41 PM »
Thanks for looking John.It was coming across Salviati Opal wrythen moulded pieces from that date that encouraged me to look into murano,I’ll keep looking !Did the book mention any sizes,..sorry to be so pushy !,I have books but not in this area ,thanks.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:23:07 PM »
I’ve just checked the bases again and they do vary in thickness from one side to the other for interest sake.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »
I’ve also had a closer look at the pontil mark and i think it maybe a equidistant 3 pronged rod ?

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 02:03:19 PM »
Thanks John , very kind of you.I’ve had a few salviati tumblers and the pontil on this particular piece seems different ,so if it is ? I’m guessing it’s an earlier example.It’s slightly more flared,tad more weight(not much ),more air bubbles and inclusions.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 08:07:14 AM »
We must be looking at different items.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 08:39:21 AM »
Crossed lines maybe, are you saying this shaped tumbler wasn’t made pre 1900 on murano?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand