No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unattributed 1860s frosted Greek Key creamer  (Read 801 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Unattributed 1860s frosted Greek Key creamer
« on: February 21, 2022, 03:26:11 PM »
I wonder if anyone recognises this pattern. The density measurement and styling tells me this is 1860s northeast with a good deal of confidence. It is not in the 1870 Edward Moore catalogue. It is not in the Sowerby 1874 catalogue, did they delete them by 1874? So this leaves Greener in pole position. The edges are decorated with a distinctive small and large tic tac pattern, which I haven't noted before on pressed glass. Several Greener pieces of this era have rounded studs and the 1867 celery has the same fan flare pattern above the stem. Are there other pieces that more closely match to a tic tac decoration?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Unattributed 1860s frosted Greek Key creamer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 12:20:07 PM »
Do you think it could be Davidson? Jenny Thompson in her book on P.17 has a 306884 vase with some similarities from an Rd. of 16/1/1877.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:37:42 PM »
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 07:58:18 PM »
I thought Davidsons pressed glass didn't start until the mid to late 1870s, and their stuff is always rock bottom for lead content. I guess it's possible they played catch up and issued some 1860s style patterns in the late 1870s. I tend to discount them though as their 1880s catalogue is fairly comprehensive and if the design is not in there it's difficult to prove...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand