No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Drum and Lid with Shako helmet  (Read 692 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Glass Drum and Lid with Shako helmet
« on: February 23, 2022, 01:52:29 PM »
Just resurrecting this thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68248.msg399089.html#msg399089 from 2019. I am interested in opinion on the possible maker of these drum containers, especially as I have another new colour and some comments on differences between patterns that may indicate they were produced over an extended period. I have pulled together all the colours from previous posts and added some more of my own which help illustrate the differences in pattern. This post only refers to the "shako" drum pots - I have never seen any crossed drumsticks or other variations.

SIZE The picture of the three drum pots are my own purchases. It clearly shows that there are two sizes. The "normal" 11cm high small pot and the rarer(?) larger 16cm high pot.  Measurement from base to top of shako.

COLOUR These pots were produced in a range of colours as shown in the images. The similarity between my large jade/blue pot and some Edward Moore colours (see image of sugar bowl courtesy of Heartofglass.uk. I have to say that my large pot is semi-translucent in places whereas I believe the Moore blue is opaque.

PATTERN I thought this was an easy distinction when I started but each of my three are different. The white one is plain top and underside of lid, plain base. The black one is swirled top of lid, ridged underside of lid, plain base whilst the large pot is swirled lid, ridged underside of lid and swirled base. In addition, the shako finial is different on the small pots as the decorative band hangs down from the top whilst the large pot it is around the brim.

My own feeling is that the plain white is the earliest design, with embellishments being added over time and the large pot is the latest sue to its colour, pattern and the translucent nature of the glass.

Any thoughts, views etc. welcome

Offline mikenott

• Members
Re: Glass Drum and Lid with Shako helmet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 01:56:43 PM »
More images

Offline mikenott

• Members
Re: Glass Drum and Lid with Shako helmet
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 01:58:15 PM »
Final images

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk