No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature drinking glass  (Read 726 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Miniature drinking glass
« on: March 26, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »
Hi , there’s a 2 pence piece in the photo to give you an idea of the size of this glass, it’s blown with tooling marks and a polished pontil ,one can feel wear along the edge of the foot and it has a distinct grey colour .Child’s play glass ?..dolls house ?very small liqueur ?..Any thoughts ? Thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline david31162

• Members
Re: Miniature drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 07:24:21 PM »
It looks like a firing glass to me as the base is so thick and able to withstand hammering on a table.
Probably more accurately a deceptive firing glass, the thickened glass in the bowl giving the illusion of more liquid. Not sure about age but it is most likely C19th , I've not seen that exact shape before.
 See explanation and earlier examples here https://www.18cglass.co.uk/georgian-18th-century-firing-glasses/
David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 08:28:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply David , it hadn’t crossed my mind that it could be a firing glass but now you mention it perhaps it maybe ?.You spurned me on to have a look through a few books I’ve got and I see what you mean about the foot ,some do have a very similar look about them .In A Wine Lover’s Glasses the AC Hubbard,Jr Collection,there is even one with a bowl a bit like mine although that one has a colour twist stem.What I can’t find is a glass as tiny as mine ,which is 2.5 “ high ,the smallest ones I’ve come across are just under 4”.I would guess with such a small glass the maker wouldn’t bother with a stem one could date it by easily ?

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:31:55 PM »
Just been through a couple of my books which mainly relate to Georgian glasses. The average size seems to be a little larger at 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches for firing glasses but I'm certain I've seen (and have) smaller ones. A google image search of 'small'and 'tiny firing glasses' finds plenty at 2 plus inches but none yet of that exact form. I just cant see any other reason to make a shot-sized glass with such a heavy base. I've got many old shot/tot glasses of that size with a finer foot.
David

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »
Tradesmen's samples.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 05:25:39 PM »
I’m certainly moving towards a shot firing glass,does anyone know when this sort of toasting went out of fashion ?, may help with dating .I don’t think it’s a tradesmen glass I’ve had a couple and they were exact miniatures of recognisable glasses , in one case a 1810 rummer .Thanks very much for the input , I’ll add one more photo of the rim to show the very distinct blip when it was cut off

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand