No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cameo type glass or not ?  (Read 923 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Cameo type glass or not ?
« on: April 22, 2022, 02:09:42 PM »
3.5 inches tall, large polished pontil mark and lots of wear. Though it was cameo at first now I'm not sure, the silvery grey parts are raised from the red, good weight for it's size, any ideas please  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cameo type glass or not ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 02:47:41 PM »
The top silvery grey layer has been cut away to show the red underneath and the silvery grey as a raised pattern off the body of the goblet.
That's cameo :)

Also a nice touch to have the red engraved through to the clear underneath to show the little clear transparent lens pattern.  Nice.  Very nice :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 03:04:32 PM »
and at a guess I'd say c.mid 19th and likely Bohemian - possibly part of a liqueur set? 
Is there any wear on the foot of the piece?

Obvious caveat - I could be wrong and it could have been made more recently and elsewhere :)  the finish on the pontil might say perhaps French but ... I don't know ... something about it makes me think it's Bohemian.  It's a pattern design and using a technique that was very in vogue in the mid 19th there. I don't think it was made elsewhere.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 03:54:38 PM »
Are you positive it’s not the red that’s raised and it’s the grey/matt areas that are cut away? Forgive me if not but it does look that way from the photos, especially looking at the way the red areas are chipped and looking at the edge of the piece, at the rim for example. Might make more sense with the cut away areas being matt, from acid etching or sand blasting etc.

M, it looks like the photo on the bibliography page in the Harrach book. Not sure that has any related text. Page 419. (That is the type of decoration, not the whole thing/detail)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »
I think so too Ekimp but didn't like to question.  I am pretty sure it will be a red over clear overlay.   The red should be cut away hence the clear frosted areas showing as 'silvery grey'.  The red layer should remain as a raised layer.  Any clear over red would still show the red underneath even if it were frosted.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »
Thanks both, pretty sure the red area is the highest, then to  clear, I did see a Bohemian glass in a book that was sort of similar, I'll keep looking  ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 06:13:03 PM »
Keith it's I think a stylised or varied design version of an acanthus leaf.  This can be seen on lots of red over clear, and blue over clear and also on double overlay like my decanter which is blue over white over clear of that period.  It was very in fashion in the glass of the 1850s and 1860s Bohemia :)

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »
Looks like a nice glass, sturdy looking. I wonder how the red was cut away? I suppose the likely candidates are acid or sand blasting but is it possibly ground by wheel?

Some of the convex curves look to be made up from several linear cuts (such as from the side of a wheel) rather than a flowing edge from a nicely curved mask if using acid. For example, if you zoom in on the last photo, see around the head of what looks like a bird or angel.

Also, when you look at the ends of the narrow cuts, there looks to be a shallow chamfer, but the edges of the same cuts look sharp. This looks like a cut from a narrow wheel. You can see this in the narrow cuts each side of the bird or angel’s tail.

Presumably if it was ground it would likely be older and higher end.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 10:18:14 PM »
Ekimp it definitely does look as though it's from exactly that 'range'.  Just the design pattern is slightly different ... but not much.  I'd say that is a match most definitely.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 10:22:49 PM »
The vase is shown on page 176 Ekimp.  Great spot btw! (my first description and date not too bad either ;) )

Keith the description of the vase with the same dekor as yours is:
pp 176, plate 209
c.1855  in Museum of Glass Harrachov, inv. no. 3730

quote:
'Colourless glass, layered with ruby, mould blown.  Relief engraving of symmetrical acanthus scrollwork, completed with cut and polished lenses.'

The foot of the vase shown is also quite thick and disc like in appearance.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand