No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green globe vase with air trap pattern  (Read 793 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Green globe vase with air trap pattern
« on: April 24, 2022, 07:13:48 PM »
Fleamarkets have been good to me this weekend :)
So I'll post a few pieces I cannot identify...

Nice small globe vase, green cased in clear, with chevron (or fern leaves?) air trap pattern.
Height 11 cm, diameter 10.5 cm, quite heavy at 0.8 kg.
Flat polished base.

I have been entirely unsuccessful in finding anything similar, I am not even able to guess the approximate age; so any help highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Green globe vase with air trap pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:42:05 PM »
That's gorgeous.

I wonder if it were Scandinavian wouldn't it be signed and wouldn't the base probably have a polished pontil mark?

Therefore could it be Czech? 

On that note, just chucking in a thought.    There were a couple online from Exbor also using this curious (but lovely) fresh green. 
I know little about their work and it seems from looking online that their pieces are usually cut and angular but, you know, just thinking out loud :)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/art-glass-vase-ladislav-oliva-exbor-524638270

edited - mm, perhaps not ... there's nothing remotely similar online.  It was just a thought.

Perhaps Harrach or Moser?  Just thinking if it's mold blown then Harrach might be a good candidate?  It's kind of Ariel like isn't it?

Apparently a Harrach example here with flat polished base and in a fresh green that looks similar:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/784261025/milos-pulpitel-rudolf-schwedler-harrach?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-art_and_collectibles-collectibles-other&utm_custom1=_k_Cj0KCQjw6pOTBhCTARIsAHF23fIQXHMQPNBZuc3ujMM_o0RSFS7kansLn1XLf1xKvcRejQPBW_Gi9tkaAmnCEALw_wcB_k_&utm_content=go_12577610529_122491525431_507694189832_pla-314954652173_c__784261025engb_102858184&utm_custom2=12577610529&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pOTBhCTARIsAHF23fIQXHMQPNBZuc3ujMM_o0RSFS7kansLn1XLf1xKvcRejQPBW_Gi9tkaAmnCEALw_wcB
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »
Thank you m! :)

That Harrachov Hartil vase does have a similar green colour. And Milan Metelak did use controlled bubbles in his designs for Harrachov.

Still that globe shape is very un-Czech in my eyes. But maybe something like it could have produced after the organic designs of the 1950s/60s...?

After looking through hundreds of Ariel pieces, I haven't found anything really similar -- those great Scandinavian Ariel pieces are much more massive; and I am still not sure if this is the proper name for the technique used in my vase.

Airtrap / Ariel doesn't seem to be a technique widely used, mostly by Scandinavian makers. I also considered Leerdam, Murano (though I think rather not), Germany, but couldn't find anything.

Somehow it doesn't look like studio glass either (and it should be marked in some way if it was, I guess).

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 01:44:14 PM »
I checked Leerdam as well but I think that would probably be signed or marked.  I'll have a look through the museum collection later and see if there is anything there but I suspect not. 

The highly polished base made me think not studio, but you're right, the shape and design of the rim is curiously not 'big producer' either.  However there were some organic shapes made so they must have been in fashion at the time.

I thought perhaps Harrach more than Moser really. 
I've looked in the book and there is nothing similar in there by Metelak.
There is however a goblet by Rudolf Schwedler with a Harrtil white fibre design on it in what looks like a close green to your vase. 1955. pp395 From Neuwelt to the Whole World, Mergl.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 05:54:51 PM »
Thanks m!

I have again looked through all Ariel pieces on the web I could find, and though I have to say that some Edvin Öhrström pieces are not as far away as I had thought (wonky button rims, flat polished bases), the overall look isn't right.

I also considered Dominick Labino, who made Ariel pieces and globe vases with button rim, but his work seems more "artistic", and should be signed as well.

Harrachov is still an interesting suggestion, but I am not able to find anything in the Czech resources.

A question regarding Ariel: as far as I have read these pieces are made by cold-working (sandblasting) the coloured blank, and then reheating it and encasing it in clear glass, leaving air in the recessed areas.
Classic air trap is made differently I think? With a mould?

Would the latter method more likely apply to my vase?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 06:46:17 PM »
It's a complex pattern but it's repetitive, not really that random, so I was just wondering if it might have been a mold blown piece really. 
Not that I could tell if it was, because I can't  I honestly have no real idea  :-\
It looked to me like green glass cased in clear, blown into a mold then recased in clear. 

Also been through Dan Klein, Glass: A Contemporary Art; Czech Glass 1940s to 1980s Part II (Sypka Auctions 24/10/2010); Petrova & Olivie, Bohemian Glass.  Unfortunately nothing stands out as being comparable.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »
David Huchthausen did a series of Airtrap vases - this link says he was from Baden bei Wien. There is a little bit of biog about him 'As a Fulbright Scholar, he studied at the University of Applied Arts, in Vienna, Austria.'

But possibly it might be marked if it was his work?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/david-huchthausen-studio-glass-air-521960627

also this

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mint-vtg-david-huchthausen-milropa-1790386654

Nothing like your shape and design though.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 07:46:19 PM »
Thanks again! :)

I found this one in my searches: https://www.cmog.org/artwork/air-trap-vessel-baden-bei-wien-153

But the Huchthausen pieces seem much more "artistic" (and I guess they should be signed as you said).

Mine looks more oldfashioned if you know what I mean...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 08:06:18 PM »
I do know what you mean about it feeling a bit 'old fashioned' in the shape. 

I'm just wondering if it was a piece made as a part of the development of a working process or as a development of a new idea for designs. 
Or perhaps made at a glass school?
Hence it not being signed.  ]

It has a beautifully polished base though.  So I suspect it was made somewhere good with good finishing techniques important in the process.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 05:15:47 PM »
This is really nice !
Another possibility is Konrad Habermeier for Gral-Glashütte.

I understand that Orrefors usually cold worked their Ariel bits, whilst other firms tended to hot work them instead.

This does look to me hot worked.

How thick is the glass ?

Gareth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand