No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red iridescent vase  (Read 719 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Red iridescent vase
« on: April 24, 2022, 07:22:18 PM »
Opaque red vase with soft golden iridescence, slightly crackled towards the top.
Colour is a muted red, no transparency at all.
Polished pontil mark.

Stands 25 cm tall, and is not very heavy at close to 500g.

Looks to me Bohemian and early 20th century, but maybe it is much more recent...?

Thanks!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Red iridescent vase
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:09:00 PM »
It's lovely.  The wear on the base looks quite old I think.

That kind of iridescence always reminds me of Jean Beck glass.

Some information here:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/124799-jean-beck--munich-and-the-bavarian-conn

I'm afraid I don't know if Jean Beck used a polished pontil mark though.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:56:11 AM »
I'm fascinated by this golden iridesence too, but know virtually nothing about it on glass. I don't even know what metal produces it, I'm only familiar with seeing it on Zsolnay ceramics.
Does anybody know how it is produced?
For example, I know Isle of Wight Studio Glass spray stannous chloride on an item to give it it's soft iridescent finish.
A very shiney iridesence can be produced by torching a finished item to bring metals to the surface. Apologies if this is not quite on topic. :-[
It's a gorgeous vase, Michael.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 06:43:59 PM »
Thanks a lot, very good hint! :)
Somehow Jean Beck didn't cross my mind.

I have two Jean Beck pieces, a pink marbled bowl (pic attached) and a red vase with clear handles I haven't photographed yet -- same as these two: https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/3395660/
It has a really similar red colour, but a silvery iridescence.

Both are marked and have cut rims, but as far as I remember Jean Beck worked with several glassworks, so that may vary...

The yellow iridescence is really special, I am trying to think of other pieces I have seen with a similar finish...

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 06:45:59 PM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 10:16:35 PM »
Interesting.  It's so hard to see the base on that photograph to see if it has a polished pontil mark, but it does look to have a fire-polished rim.  The other pieces I've found seem to have a cut rim, blown from the top.

The other company that I recalled doing this hard metallic iridescence is  Imperial Glass (I think that's what they are called) - they're American.  They did something called Lustre or Lead Luster and that appears to be a similar metallic sheen.  It might be the ones on the site below referred to as 'mirror' Caveat: I know absolutely nothing about American glass, I just remember seeing these lustre pieces somewhere and thinking they looked quite special.  However, I'm not sure the construction is the same, e.g. red(colour) cased in clear which is how yours looks to me?

The orange versions are here:
https://sites.google.com/a/imperialartglass.com/www/vii-lead-lustre-gallery/monochromatic/color-20

Other colours here:

https://sites.google.com/a/imperialartglass.com/www/vii-lead-lustre-gallery/monochromatic

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand