No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please Identifying Symbol Type Signature  (Read 881 times)

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
Help Please Identifying Symbol Type Signature
« on: May 02, 2022, 07:08:42 PM »
Hi All,

I have a beautiful and unique 9 inch vase executed in an unique King Tut type pattern that I have not seen before.

To make the artist's identification even more challenging, the signature seems to be a stylized symbol. The work is too refined and substantial not to be a one-off so I ask for your help to identify the signature or the style to identify the artist.

I have tried to draw the signature as I interpret it visually but I am not sure if it is correct.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Bill

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help Please Identifying Symbol Type Signature
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »
I suspect that is simply a random mark. Sorry no help whatsoever...

I did have this lamp though, which must be from the same maker. No marks and the only clues to where or when came from the original fitting and wiring, neither were British but the fitting was typically European (I still have it somewhere) and the wiring looked like it was from the 1930s or 50s.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your fast and informative reply.

I agree that both of our pieces have the same origin story. The more refined opening on mine tends to make be think that it is a later piece but, not being a lamp, this may just be for "show" since it is more exposed? The top reminds me of the way Nourot does some of their vase openings.

Interesting that it is European. I only ever run across Czech (or earlier Czechoslovakian), Italian (Murano), Polish and really expensive French contemporary art glass pieces in the secondary market. This is probably due to my location in Southern California and a number of quality art glass studios along the West Coast.

I'm curious, what is/was the value of the lamp as it is my only comparative?

Best Regards,
Bill

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:11:12 PM »
John's lamp looks French to me and I think early 20thC., there were several companies making similar ones and vases too.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 04:47:50 PM »
My hunch was French as well, those hunches are often wide of the mark though...

Here is the bulb holder for reference, for a bulb with a large screw thread - E27, the white bit on the end is a ceramic. Wires are white and black, as far as I remember not a British standard.

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 07:51:26 PM »
Hi John,

I tend to agree. This does not look like any socket hardware that I have encountered on early lamps. For on thing, there is no integrated switch mechanism and it looks like it was meant for a hardwired fixture (ceiling lamp, sconce, stair case globe, etc.). Too early for a in-cord switch. It only makes sense that, to function as a lamp, it would require a switch. I do not know how far back wall switch control was common on electrical outlets but that would be the only other alternative. Unless.... the socket was replaced at sometime with the one you have now?

In good light (and close up) the darker amber swirls of the glass seem to have a opal-esque quality which I have never seen before in glass. It is stunning in sunlight. Does your lamp exhibit similar qualities?

Best Regards,
Bill

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 10:36:06 PM »
There's probably absolutely no connection here but for some reason the lamp reminded me of this vase/bowl in the link below.  Looking at the bowl now I can't really see why I thought of it to be honest, apart from the colour perhaps, nevertheless, just adding the link to the thread just in case it becomes relevant in future searches :) :

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,65587.msg366789.html#msg366789

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 02:14:16 AM »
Hi,

The color (or colour) pallet seems to be similar and the visual structural differences between the opaque and translucent glass elements is somewhat similar so I do get your reference.

Your piece seems to border on ceramics. Possibly a mix of both glass and ceramic mediums? The ceramic being added to the glass as a powder?

Besides my observations and opinion, I have go no clue who the maker may have been.

Best of Luck,
Bill

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 06:24:57 PM »
The bulb holder fitting could date from c1920 to 1950s. European or American are possible. Lacking an integrated switch is not uncommon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand