No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unattributed small timber panel salt pot  (Read 704 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Unattributed small timber panel salt pot
« on: May 08, 2022, 03:31:20 PM »
This was an impulse buy at Portobello Road a few months back, a small two piece salt pot 1.5 inches high and 2 inches wide. It has the look and density value of 1880s glass. The timber panelling has been seen before on pieces from Heppell, Greener, and Burtles Tate, and it could be from any of these or perhaps another.

I've run this past a couple of keen collectors of northeast glass and neither had seen it before.

Has anyone come across this in any colour?
Any attribution thoughts?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Unattributed small timber panel salt pot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:09:40 AM »
It's an unusual pattern, if it's a table salt I wonder why they put a lid on it? At first I thought it might be Continental but having gone through the opensalts.us site and elsewhere, I can't find it. There are several American designs in the form of a wooden tub but not exactly like yours but I did find this under the motif of "wood/woodgrain".

https://www.eapgs.net/full-images.php?idx=44166&pat=4760

"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 06:06:18 PM »
Thanks for that Nev, looks like I got the right year but the wrong continent, which would explain why nobody had seen it. I'll try a couple of American facebook groups and see if it gets any responses. It does look it was made by the same firm as the soap dish.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:53:26 AM »
collectorsweekly.com might be worth a try, also you could try it under UV, the Americans sometimes used uranium as a colour enhancer for blue glass.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »
I've had a facebook reply from the guy who wrote a book on Bryce Higbee glass, and although that company made glass using the same wood pattern and colour, he says it's not one of theirs. There is no UV either. After drawing a blank in the USA I'm beginning to think it's a UK piece, not surprising really as it was found in the UK. So we're back to either Heppell, Greener, maybe Burtles Tate or another.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand